if [ $VERSION_ID == "12.04" ]; then
sudo apt-get install appmenu-gtk:i386
 else
sudo apt-get install unity-gtk2-module
 fi
else
 sudo apt-get install appmenu-gtk:i386
fi

now the version check is a bit hack'ish but I wanted to keep the patch short.

Bascially by adding that your adding support for more recent ubuntu versions ( eg. 13.10 ) and derivatives ( kbuntu/mint/etc)

System:

Linux Mint 17 ( = Ubuntu 14.04 with cinnamon desktop ) Ubuntu 14.04, AMD HD 6850, i5 2500k

Oooooh...

I also want to include as many of the libs as possible in the editor's own path. But that also means always launching it with an ,sh file instead of the executable itself.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Which is the de facto standard way for most applications and games anyway. Heck, I even wrote my own start script when the editor still had the locale issues just to circumvent those. It is just too useful to not do it. That was also useful for creating a .desktop file ~/.local/share/applications/ which means I can start Leadwerks from the Unity dash (or any other desktop environment's start menu or launcher) with icon and everything.

You might want to look into MojoSetup https://icculus.org/mojosetup/ forget about the .deb file, this is the better and more general approach to doing it. Bundle the updater with that and you have a really nice way for the initial deployment of Leadwerks on Linux:

More elegant than a .tar.gz file and more generally useful than any distro specific package.