gaming contest

DudeAwesome

hey guys I purchased the humble bundle indie 11 and I have one not needed copy of monaco: whats yours is mine. I would like to do some kind of gaming contest or game coding jam. users from the leadwerksforum that like to code and win this have to create a small game in some days (subject will be given) and post it here. the leadwerks community will rate the games after time is over and the winner gets the gift code wink.png

maybe we see some nice game demos wink.png

what do you think?

It doesn´t work... why? mhmmm It works... why?

Sounds great, but 'a few days' will probably not sufficient.

Have a look at the previous tournaments:

tournament 1: http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/7223-leadwerks-game-week-tournament/page__hl__tournament

tournament 2: http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/7333-leadwerks-game-tournament-2/page__hl__tournament

Unfortunately it has proven that although there are awesome prizes, that this does not equal many contributions.

Well everyone have the base FPS script as it is part of LE3 demo.

So everyone can make changes like new characters, terrain level as they want.

I don't think it would take a month to make something and it should be unofficial challenge, let's keep official for lot more later.

Another point, models and script could be available on workshop , for people to download and use or learn from it.

--------------------------------

Let's say :

1) Challenge Serious Sam :

outdoor terrain map challenge : make on playable map with terrain and with spawning ennemies, some weapons and fun smile.png

2) Retro FPS challenge :

Cartoon or pixel texture or special stye like black and white, simple FPS indoor or outdoor

Needs a vote because submitting without people advice can just fail (at final we could mix two proposals in the same challenge ?)

I go for Serious Sam style game.

Stop toying and make games

We could use the SCP Foumdation http://www.scp-wiki.net/ as a guide for some of the projects. They have a bunch of stories that can be created into games such as "The 'Living' Room" http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-002. All that would be left to decide on is the game-play type such as Interactive, fps, 3rps, on rails, rpg,point and click, adventure, etc. And they game type can change every contest or can come up randomly with a generator.

I got a msg from josh. He is planning something like that also around the free weekend on steam. I think we could put this together to one gamejam.

I have a feeling some of the prizes will be free copies of Leadwerks. But the people that weekend will be learning how to use the engine and probably won't be submitting much... though I hope I'm wrong.

As for themes and rules, I suggest being either flexible or giving users choices. Like a random genre generator that generates 3 genres and you can pick 1 from there to use.

The main issue is that scripts are not modular enougth :

Sounds and animations should be Script parameters not fixed ones if you want to import your own ennemies characters.

Same for player lot of stuff is "Fixed" :

Prefab model , sounds, animations should be input script parameters, like also a pivot point of for Raycast.

Perhaps making basic scripts more customizable before launching that fun demo competition , this way you could make FPS game without coding and concentrating on fun, level design ,and some new FPS pr physics mecanics (somewhat like FPS creator style).

@yougroove: whats hold you back from creating those scripts yourself? It is very unlikely that Josh is going to rewrite those scripts.

@gamecreator: I don't think themes should be used at all. The previous tournaments deffinetly proved that this was a really bad idea. I agree with Rick. Just make a new game for the tournament without a theme, that is hard enough as it is.

For themes, this is better , because if some make FPS another platforming or puzzle physics , if there is more people that like FPS, others categories will have no chances.

Like any tournament, you need to define some barrier, but not constraint people to use some rendering or physic technic that would make it fail.

I would say something easy to make , for fun so why not some RETRO FPS ?

Like any tournament, you need to define some barrier, but not constraint people to use some rendering or physic technic that would make it fail.

In the first post you suggest a rendering style, while your second post says that we should not constrain people to a rendering technique. Leadwerks is not FPS creator and never will be. Josh has stated this over and over again: he can make as many tutorials or generic scripts as can, but it will never please everybody since there is always someone who wants to have different things.

Just make anything you can in those 2 days.

Ok.

In fact i spoke about modular FPS lot more generic , to any new comer be able to concentrate in gameplay and 3D art, i didn't say LE3 to become FPS Creator. Only lot of stuff like animations numbers, sounds could have been exposed Script variables.

Can we begin the 3D assets phase, some coding or must it be in the two days ?

The previous tournaments deffinetly proved that this was a really bad idea.

I disagree. All the previous tournaments proved was that the community was too small for it at the time. With Linux and Steam users, I don't think that's the case any more.

Look at wildly popular tournaments like Ludum Dare. What makes each Ludum Dare competition different and interesting is its theme. But like I said, you can offer a choice from multiple themes if you want to be more flexible.

I disagree. All the previous tournaments proved was that the community was too small for it at the time.

At the time it was. It was very quiet the last 6 months before 3.1.

I don't think it is the size that matters (not to be funy here smile.png ) but the amount of active members on werkspace. There are 1500 user registrations since januari 6th on workspace (not all of them have a licensse). Anyhow, that is already higher than the amount of licensed developer of Le2 and Leadwerks 3.0. I just hope its not going to be a failure like the last tournament.

Last tournament was way too much restrictive, physics joint/motor was imposed to be used, not all people wanted to go that physic gameplay way.

Unofficial tournament one was really great, and i played the Flask game FPS that was hilarous and cool basic game.

Two days is super short delay, you can only make mini games or you have to re use at maximum FPS script from FPS demo, this way you have a already working base game.

Let's LE3 maturate more and have new comers, let it grow before proposing some official one.

Also the theem is important, it gives a direction , without it , i don't call that a competition, but only : just show you can make a game and anyone can using just FPS Demo fo LE3 and modifying it.

I'm sure is that some non official tournament would be better for now.