Save .png exception

tjheldna

Hi Josh,

Iv'e been having a few issues with the editor lately. I understand that these issues may be close to impossible to track down, but I thought I'd log them anyway as you never know your luck!

The problem with this bug report is that this issue appears to be happening randomly and I can't pinpoint exactly what is the cause.

I have the source .psd file saved in another location, I then save as a .png into the project folder.

- Clicking save to .png from Photoshop into the projects directory randomly throws an exception if the editor is open.

- Clicking save to .png from Crazybump into the projects directory randomly throws an exception however this happens a lot more frequently from this program if the editor is open.

If I get the exception from above and reload the editor and world I almost certainly I loose all my terrain height data and can no longer edit the terrain height (it just doesn't move no matter what tool you use or how many times you reload the level). The only way is to create a new terrain block again.

Like I said 95% of the time this will work without a hitch, and wasn't a big issue, but loosing your terrain data has made it a bit more of an issue. I recommend testing with crazybump if you have it it definitely seems to happen more often when saving directly into the projects folder using that software.

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

Just had a look though my application logs and found a few of these.....

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 24/11/2013 8:22:23 PM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: SENTINEL

Description:

Faulting application name: img2tex.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x519d3344

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0x80000026

Fault offset: 0x74ccc9f5

Faulting process id: 0x13d0

Faulting application start time: 0x01cee8fadfbd57ba

Faulting application path: C:\Leadwerks\Editor\Tools\img2tex.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 1d705afb-54ee-11e3-99a8-1c6f65c06163

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

I'm also getting a lot of these when saving a file from an external program, As soon as I save in the external program I get a warning from the editor, something like "failed to convert" etc.. I have a feeling it's all related.

Even though after is says it's converted in the log after the error, it has not when you check the texture. I need to close the editor down and reload it before it loads successfully.

Cheers!

The PNG format has some funny settings like interlacing and some other things. You might try looking in the options of your exporter, since it seems like it can't load those.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

With photoshop there is the option for no interlacing but I can't see the options in the other software.

Also as far a the terrain not editable, this isn't the case like I thought. It turns out the height value was reset to 1 on the crash so all I needed to do was increase it's value back up again.

• 5 months later...

It is also possible that Photoshop might still be writing to the file while the converter starts. I need to figure out what the rules are here. I thought if it was being written to I could not read it.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

If you delete the resulting .tex file it will reconvert the file next time you start and you can recover your map.

I implemented a file locking mechanism that makes the converter wait until the file steam is closed by other programs. (The file can still be "open" in a paint program, it just will prevent from converting the file in the middle of a save operation.)