Pricing model thoughts

Rick

I'm curious to see what people would think about and if Josh is open to a more component based pricing system with LE3 since it seems like things can be attached pretty easily. I feel like a good example would be the OpenGL 4 renderer. Seems like that could be a separate component that we purchase with LE 3 if we want it?

What would be cool is if Josh could do a Kickstarter like campaign for components like this to get some idea on what the people want more. I don't think Kickstarter itself would allow this but maybe there is another site or he could make a Kickstarter like process here on LE where people pre-order the thing they want and the money is only taken out if that component meets it's goal. He could put up 3 "Kickstarter" components and whatever hits it's goal he works on.

I wonder if this component idea could apply to a game also. Not one big kickstarter for an entire game, but smaller kickstarter like goals for pieces of an overall game. hmmm

It was done in some engine that turned open source.

Beeing open source people could pay for some feature, if the feature reached the goal it was developped.

If i'm not wrong i seen that system on Esenthel forums.

Personnaly i will stay with simple pay for a product/pay for the upgrade.

The question is how much will you put to finally have a complete engine ?

LE3 kickstarter is good, but be carefull, im' not sure that would be good to put all LE 3 features in such driven community money and goals , each of us wanting that feature and not that one.

For example :

-I don't need terrain or incomign render features for mobile.

-I would need some mobile special features perhaps we will be one or ten guys only to ask, and we don't perhaps have 20$ to put on that.

You see that system can put down features put in some Kickstarter way.

But if the engine put terrain, mobile stuff all in some update, people wanting terrain will have to buy the upgrade, and people wanting only mobile will also have to buy the upgrade.

So the upgrade will touch lot more people.

Stop toying and make games

I'm fine with buying things as individual components as long as you get a discount if you buy everything - as I want it all. Modern graphics, terrain, ocean/lake/river, networking, advanced physics, GUI, sky, weather, roads... The question is: how much should that cost. If you're only interested in PC development, the engine costs $199. Would it be fair to consider all these the second half of the engine and charge another $199 for them?

But a few months after we have purchased all these modules le3 may end up where le2 is. What then? Do we all buy le4 and the routine starts again. I just hope le3 is finished with all possible features . le2 finaly lacked quite a few but was still very good value for money.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++