Windows 11 UltraEngine Beta Crash On Box Side Selection

3Dski7059

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

I reported a similar issue when trying thinking I was selecting a face to apply a material to. This time I was selecting a face to resize a box.  Throws and index error and crashes. Steam thinks its still running, so gets things out of sync with Steam starting/stopping.

Can you provide the exact steps I need to produce an error? If I create a box and select one face everything works as expected.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I was able to produce this error by clicking around a lot in 0.9.3. Not sure what caused it but I will investigate more...

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I actually don't know if I've every seen it happen on the first selection.  It always happens on other attempts. I don't find selecting to work in the way that I'd expect, which has resulted in multiple attempts.

When you select face mode, I seem to recall all faces being selected and the face selection dots appearing. If I try to pick a top face from the side using its done, the cursor is set as a move cursor, so it would only let me move the whole object instead of the face. I do want to move, but only the face. But, there are instances when the normal hair line cross cursor appears for selection. I'll have to go back in an see if there's anything special I've done before I try to do the face select, but its definitely been on faces that are facing the view port.

EDIT: Yep, I didn't do anything else. I opened the app and created a box, and then I immediately attempted to select a face and it crashed with that runtime/index error.  I noticed that it opened directly to a project instead of opening to the Project Manager, which is a bit unexpected. For the error itself, the issue appears to occur in the perspective pane, rather than one of the other 3 orthogonal views, so that may give you something more to look at.

2nd EDIT: Also, if no face is selected things seem fine even in the perspective view. But, if the face has already been selected and I attempt re-re-select it to move it, it then crashes. If I grab and attempt to move a pre-selected face in the other 3 windows it works fine.  So, it seems that it has to be a pre-selected face being re-selected in the perspective view that cause it to crash. Hope this helps!

I just got another update today when I went to go check.

You corrected the crash, but the general behavior is a bit quirky, but something one can learn to work with. If a box is selected and face selection is chosen, you're forced to click elsewhere so all the faces are unselected, then click the face you want. In most tools I've worked with, switching to face mode on a selected object only causes face selectors to appear up on the faces without them being selected. In this case, there's just this extra need to click somewhere off the objects to make sure you don't have and object that has all its faces pre-selected, prior being able to truly select the face you want.

It's a feature! :P

When you switch into face edit mode, all the faces of any currently selected brushes are automatically selected.

Maybe we need more opinions on whether this is good or bad?