Shader Effects

reepblue

Josh and I were talking about effects that should be part of the default shaders. I'm making a list here.

1. Simple UV manipulation:
    • Rotation - I should be able to simply spin a material from the center or a defined position in the UV.
    • Scrolling - For conveyer belts and such. I might also use this for my fizzler.
  2. Animation with a volume texture.
    • All texture sheets should cycle its frames unless the sheet doesn't have any additional frames.
    • If possible, maybe allow for each sheet to have its own animation speed defined in the material? If not, one speed value for the entire material is fine.
    • If no speed is defined, it should animate at 60fps automatically. 
  3. Emission Color Modification.
    • In Cyclone, I created a shader that piped the entity's color to the emission mask instead of the diffuse texture and it worked out really well. I just had to change the entity's color in code to make something glow a different color. I'd like to be able to do something like this in Ultra Engine.
    • Alternatively, if a model can have multiple material variants (i.e Skins), I can just swap the skin instead. In my opinion, implementing this would have much more use cases than allowing me to change the emission color but do what's best. Maybe both can exist? 
  4. UV Tiling on decals.
    • The Decal system hasn't been started but this was also another custom shader I had to do in Cyclone. I want decals to tile their UV's like the brushes. I need this for my indicator strips. 
  • Upvote 3

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

I'm thinking per-entity settings should be emission color, texture position, texture scale, and texture rotation. Emission color is only active if an emission map is present. It does not act as an emission color alone, because otherwise it would be impossible to display many models correctly.

Animation (scrolling and rotation) should be a per-material setting.

I'm basically just describing everything in the above post using different words.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

We need a kick *** ocean and water shader with waves, foam, underwater effects and caustics, etc.

Please make that a reality. I know there is already buoyancy, so great water would really help.

Mike

• Upvote 1

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 980 GTX with 16gb vram / SSD drives

MSI Dominator Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1060 GTX with 8gb vram / SSD drives

Alienware Laptop - Core i7 - 8 cores / 3ghz / 32gb RAM / Nvidia 1070 Ti with 16gb vram / SSD drives

My Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/michaelfelkercomposer

My music for sale: https://www.tgcstore.net/category/513?format=all&perpage=30&textures=undefined&price=all&order=default&artists[]=87213

Custom synths and sounds - http://www.supersynths.com