Map::Reload() Re-Creates brushes?

reepblue

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

Found a new bug with the Save/Load system. I think the brushes are being re-created. This example has a transparent material in the scene, and it gets opaquer after each reload.

Load the map, Press F5, and then press F6 to see the results.

#include "UltraEngine.h"
using namespace UltraEngine;

int main(int argc, const char* argv[])
{
    //Get the displays
    auto displays = GetDisplays();

//Create a window
    auto window = CreateWindow("Ultra Engine", 0, 0, 1280, 720, displays[0], WINDOW_CENTER | WINDOW_TITLEBAR);

//Create a world
    auto world = CreateWorld();

//Create a framebuffer
    auto framebuffer = CreateFramebuffer(window);

//Load scene
    auto scene = LoadMap(world, "Maps/savetest3.ultra");

//Main loop
    while (window->Closed() == false and window->KeyDown(KEY_ESCAPE) == false)
    {
        if (window->KeyHit(KEY_F5))
        {
            //Save the starting scene to a file
            scene->Save("game.sav");
        }

//Reload the starting scene when space key is pressed
        if (window->KeyHit(KEY_F6))
        {
            scene->Reload("game.sav");
        }

world->Update();
        world->Render(framebuffer);
    }
    return 0;
}

SaveTest3.zip

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

• Solution

I think what is probably happening is the brush is getting new faces applied to it, causing the transparent surface to become more opaque each time.

I am fixing it so the brush will clear its own geometry before loading from a map.

Currently there is no merging / collapsing of brushes when a map is loaded. It's not as important in Ultra as it was in Leadwerks, because draw calls don't slow Ultra down much. I plan to add a Map::Build() command, or add some load flag that controls whether brushes get collapsed. Once that is in, then the original brushes will be gone, so there won't be anything to reload from a game save file.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

Currently there is no merging / collapsing of brushes when a map is loaded. It's not as important in Ultra as it was in Leadwerks, because draw calls don't slow Ultra down much. I plan to add a Map::Build() command, or add some load flag that controls whether brushes get collapsed. Once that is in, then the original brushes will be gone, so there won't be anything to reload from a game save file.

Hmm, this does solve my problem of identifying what is level geometry and what is a decorative model. I can just use the As<Brush>() cast. I guess if brush collapsing returns, please put back the public "collapsedbrush" bool or something like you had in Leadwerks.

I also want to mention that when I loaded my save file with Map::Load(), I noticed my materials lost their normal maps. These kinds of things are hard to write examples for as it requires a lot of code and assets to showcase the problem. Maybe it's a side effect from the same problem here.

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!