Leadworks as Game Engine for Commercial Projects ?

Andy90

Hi everyone! I'm Andreas, and I'm currently working on a game that I plan to distribute commercially on Steam.

So far, everything's going well, but I started developing the game with Unity a few months ago. Unfortunately, Unity has recently made some changes to their pricing and licensing conditions. This led me to explore alternatives, and that's when I discovered Leadwerks. I really like the licensing model they offer. I can purchase the engine and use it without any restrictions.

Now, I have a few questions about Leadwerks. What kind of games can be created with it, and what are the advantages of the C++ SDK? Can I use C++ scripts instead of Lua with the SDK?

I do know Lua, so that's not a problem, but personally, I prefer the C syntax, and I'm quite proficient in C++.

Currently, I'm working on an open-world survival game. Another important question for me is regarding GUI and windows. Can I create GUI windows, like an inventory or crafting window?

Ultra Engine is going to be the successor to Leadwerks, and it's only a couple of weeks away from the first release. The license is about the same as Leadwerks but the performance in Ultra is very very fast, like 10x faster than Leadwerks or Unity.

You can use just C++ if you like, and in Ultra the C++ support is better fleshed out, with an entity component system that works with C++.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 11:00 AM, Andy90 said:

Well Leadwerks is still a good engine. You still can make good games with it. 

Of course it is, one of the best engines I've ever used to be honest..  It runs excellent on older hardware so if your planning on distributing a game made with it you have pretty much have the full spectrum of pc-gamers at your fingertips.  Newer engines are to much worried about rendering, and super-exposed realism effects and PBR's when in fact only ' Only 8.2 percent'   of the PC-gaming community have rigs capable of handling such engines ( quoted from google AI ) and actually even lesser than that if you break it down to pc, ios, linux, webgl and WebGPU support.  I have a fairly decent modern gaming PC and I can hardly run the slower-than hell Unreal Engine editor. So if your targeting that 8.2% then your audience is very slim, while Leadwerks gives you the full spectrum pretty much. The only sad thing with LE is it's abandonment, it needs some repair in quite a few areas to put it on the map as a top 10 engine for older to mid range pc gamers. The next engine I pick will have to offer LTS, at least bugs that are apparent could be fixed since the product is still publicly sold.. With all that said however, I'll continue to use it until greener pastures are found. :) If Ultra offered rendering-pipeline options it could be that engine but that's a lot to ask for from an engine made by a single person.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...