Windows 11 Editor Issues

reepblue

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

Just posting this here so this issue doesn't get forgotten about. 

Clicking around at the viewports will cause it and/or others to stop drawing.

image.thumb.png.b424839666d63707f5a2e6f172b5676d.png

image.thumb.png.edb76ce75fd9ca1956b3f8c599d946d6.png

Sometimes the icons in the tool bar also don't render. 

image.thumb.png.63109504ddd07be675d112e8a8b604d6.png

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!

• 1 month later...

This seems to also happen on Windows 10 also with an RTX 3060 so I don't think it's a Window's 11 issue. 

Saying this now because Microsoft is forcing this machine to Win11 now. 

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

• 1 month later...

Oh, it's still been a struggle to use on my end using more than one viewport and the asset viewer also flickers everytime the focus is lost from the 3D viewpoint.

I think it's something to do with your Async rendering to be honest.

Yeah you disable it for the viewpoints, I get that. The demos we've played with in the past always work fine but I understand there's no more going on here.

I'm surprised you're not having this issue on your end. I got viewpoint issues on both on Win10 and 11 with a Nivdia GPU with pretty recent drivers. Granted, I don't update my driver's religiously but that can be something I can try on my end.

I may just rebuild my Win10 dev box with a 1050 so my system is as close as your setup as possible. Windows will not force me to upgrade it because it's "not supported".

• 4 weeks later...

It appears that my GUI system is painting on top of the viewport window when it draws to the underlying window. Not sure how that is possible, but it should be solvable.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

It appears that my GUI system is painting on top of the viewport window when it draws to the underlying window. Not sure how that is possible, but it should be solvable.

This is what it looks like to me too. A good example is resizing the icons and seeing the shapes populate in the viewports. 

There are two problems. The gray overdraws are caused because when the WS_CHILD window style is used, any paint events on the parent window overdraw the child window. I was using a bordered panel underneath the viewport window, and changing the panel border color triggers a paint event that covers the whole area of the viewport. This is why switching the active viewport would paint the previous viewport gray. I solved this by using four 1-pixel thick panels to make the border around viewports. These can have their color changed and it does not cause a paint event that covers the viewport window.

The second issue is it seems 3D perspective viewports occasionally render a black screen. I am still investigating this.

A fix is uploaded now for the first part.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think the issue is that my own window paint code is not considering the complex region I assume the event somehow provides, but is only considering the rectangle of the paint event. There must be a structure I need to pass that includes the excluded child window areas.