Ultra Engine testing

Josh

Tested some of the terrainsamples and modified them a bit:

Some things i noticed: 

•  LoadHeightmap currently only supports r16 files in a specific format. other image files (like png) just result in flat terrains.
    • auto pixmap = LoadPixmap("Materials/hm_riverside.png");
      	pixmap = pixmap->Resize(terrainSize, terrainSize);

for(int x = 0; x < terrainSize;x++)
      		for (int y = 0; y < terrainSize; y++)
      		{
      			auto p = Red(pixmap->ReadPixel(x, y)) / 255.0;
      			terrain->SetHeight(x, y, p);
      		}
    • the above sample works, maybe a  heightmap-Loader plugin would help.
  • pixmap->Sample(x,y) just returns Vec4(0) for every pixel
  • Hightmaps bigger than 1024 will result in an Access Violation exception with (newton_d.dll)
  • Tesselation seems to be broken currently (no big priority, but would be nice to see it in action)
    • The terrain has gaps or is just black for everything not painted with the first material
    • Skybox is black as well when using Tesselation
14 hours ago, DoomSlayer said:

Wow! This is water simulation in Ultra Engine?

No, but it is on its way ;)

@Josh: What would be a nice addition to the camera system would be a way to specify an override for the shaderfamily or pass: this way you could setup cameras which just render depth data and don't use any other material switches ans i don't know if it is already there: Clipplanes. 

Background: I am experimenting with a (done this in Leadwerks) way to create a topdown flowmap / sdf field for  river and ocean rendering (foam detection etc.).

• Thanks 1
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80 Ghz 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • INTEL UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version

New update

• Fixed bug where animation was not loading from Leadwerks MDL/GMF files
  • Fixed bug where copied models were not visible

The Ultra Engine project files for the benchmarks are now available:
https://github.com/UltraEngine/Benchmarks/tree/main/Project Files/Ultra Engine

Unity project files are here:
https://github.com/UltraEngine/Benchmarks/tree/main/Project Files/Unity

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

@klepto2As discussed, Texture::GetVKTexture() has been replaced with these:

virtual VkImage GetImage();
        virtual VkSampler GetSampler();

These are actually safe to call in the main thread if asynchronous rendering is disabled.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

9 hours ago, Josh said:

@klepto2As discussed, Texture::GetVKTexture() has been replaced with these:

virtual VkImage GetImage();
        virtual VkSampler GetSampler();

These are actually safe to call in the main thread if asynchronous rendering is disabled.

Works perfectly:

image.thumb.png.cd6b5c835df97f0e98a54236b270b020.png

Now i am creating every ImageView by myself :) not only for the cubemaps.

• Like 2
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8550U @ 1.80 Ghz 
  • 16GB RAM 
  • INTEL UHD Graphics 620
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit-Version

Update

• OpenAL is correctly built as a static library, engine will run without OpenAL32.dll and without having OpenAL installed at all. I don't know why this wasn't already the case, just a matter of my focus.

8 minutes ago, aiaf said:

Im disappoint i don't see anything about linux support on the Introduction page.

It will be there in the version 1 of the engine ?

I'm going to start with just Windows because the updates will be pretty frequent. Not having to compile a Linux build for every single update saves a lot of time.

One thing I did do this time around is a separate copy of the headers are stored for each platform. That means it will be possible to update just Windows in one update, so not all platforms have to be up to date all the time. So that will make multiplatform support a lot easier when the time comes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DigitalBoyz said:

I have try download UltraEngine Client

but on my pc, it's crashed after login. Any workaround?

If the problem persists in the final build we can do a remote debugging session if you would like.

The AFAIK final build of the client application is available (version 11):
https://www.ultraengine.com/community/topic/61132-try-the-client-app/?tab=comments#comment-296282

• Filled in the Learn and Community panels. I think a lot more can be done here, but it's good enough for now.
  • Backup files now get created in a /backup subdirectory in your project.
  • Added program icon.

23 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Version 11 runs good for me.  Still have this icon issue though.

IconCropping.png.b27372f45af442ed4adc30db65cc5277.png

Okay, version 12 is uploaded and fixes this, also removed unused SVG icon files.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Josh said:

If the problem persists in the final build we can do a remote debugging session if you would like.

I have downloaded client12 and it's still crashed after login.
I try to debug on x64dbg and found crashes on "vfwprintf"

image.thumb.png.bcb98d5c650a886efb72900c65fc429d.png

Program trying to print "Loading pixmap https:data:image...." and then crashed with "BUFFER_OVERFLOW"

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the info. This was caused because the forum system returns an SVG encoded in the URL for the profile picture, if it is an auto-generated one like your account is using. I tried loading the SVG, but it relies on external font loading instead of encoding the shape in the file, so I don't want to mess with that. I set it so the application will load a default image for your profile until you set an image yourself in your account settings.

Also fixed a bug where the default new project name wasn't being filled in correctly.

Version 13 is can be downloaded at the beginning of this thread.

18 minutes ago, Josh said:

Thank you for the info. This was caused because the forum system returns an SVG encoded in the URL for the profile picture, if it is an auto-generated one like your account is using. I tried loading the SVG, but it relies on external font loading instead of encoding the shape in the file, so I don't want to mess with that. I set it so the application will load a default image for your profile until you set an image yourself in your account settings.

Also fixed a bug where the default new project name wasn't being filled in correctly.

Version 13 is can be downloaded at the beginning of this thread.

Thank you.
I've tested version13 and now working. Not crashed after login.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.e46c0127a8087b86ed1470a3e3a4c6cb.png

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

@DigitalBoyz How did you do that? The only product shown in the store is Leadwerks:
https://www.ultraengine.com/community/store

How did you find the page for the Ultra Engine subscription?

Eh? Subscription isn't opned?
I found here

Looks like I'm unlucky enough to found login bugs then found hidden subscription page T_T

• Josh changed the title to Ultra Engine testing
  • Josh locked this topic