Community Project?

DigitalHax

LE Community project?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a leadwerks community project?

2. 2. If a project started, would you be a part of it?

Either game is doable but scaling things down is an art right smile.png In your zombie example let's scale it down. I love the idea of being deep into zombie apocalypse that could be describe with some 2D pictures and narration that basically sets the stage for what you said. You have very little left (not many bullets let's say) and you need to get from point A to point B that will take place within 5-10 or so mins of gameplay. Remember we don't have to create an entire game with this. It can just be a tech demo for LE. In this case we would need zombies with some animation. 1 or 2 people on the team could purchase (of if they already have) some zombie models and they are the ones who control all that.

The horror idea is great too. Doesn't really require any models but environment really so no real animation required. Puzzle design would be the key with this. We'd have to make sure feature creep or crazy complex puzzles aren't created. The ending could be left very wide open as leave the person wanting more. Storyline with this type of game is pretty critical. With the zombie game idea above you set the story up right away, but it's your basic zombie story so not hard. Then the zombie one becomes about fast paced survival getting from 1 point to another with limited resources quickly.

I really like the idea of throwing players knee deep into an already developed story via some 2D art and narration at the start, throwing them right into the fire for some quick scary action. It shouldn't be to complex since they are just starting but would be cool to have the players adrenaline rushing right away.

Exactly. However, are we doing a tech demo or a game?

I think the horror game would be the best. Penumbra:Overture was scary not because monsters were thrown at you but because you could walk into a monster at any moment. What is more scary, Jaws or Paranormal Activity? We would still need some animation, maybe one monster, but that's the same as the zombie game.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

I think the project direction should be heavily influenced by the art available to the community. For example, if no one knows how to make a zombie, what's the point of trying to make a zombie game? If all of the artists are badasses with space art, I would go with that. So... who's doing art?

If we made a game based on what we could do it would be a sub game with helicopters, some trees, rocks, and a revolver. No, we need to make a game from a solid idea and plan. I am sure one of us could make a zombie.

However I do understand what you are saying. We need to be able to make the art for the game. However none of us seem to be totally pro at one type of art.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

I like the idea of an intense horror game too. smile.png

Doesn't have to be zombies, it could also be some kinda monsters/demons.

Regarding the zombies, though...making them is not that hard. Here's a model I did yesterday for another game I'm working on. This one is really low poly...only 861 tris. I would suggest between 3000 - 4000 (or maybe 5000 at the most) for high detail.

The good thing about having zombies/monsters, is that you only need one rig with animations for all the monsters.

zombieLow.png

Having the game indoors is not a bad idea, but I would also add an outdoors level if possible. smile.png

Cheers

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

Heh heh we are talking about two different games, the zombie one outdoors and the horror one indoors.

In Penumbra:Overture the only "monster" was a dog, you were just scared there were monsters. If we go that way, we can scare the player without hordes of the undead :D

P.S. that is an epic zombie btw...

Penumbra series and amnesia work on an insanity AI.

The more scared you are, the more you are seeing and hearing things.

Stage 1: normal

Stage 2: Random wood squeaking

stage 3: Louder breathing of the player, spiders, rats, bug

Stage 4: Dizzy view, even louder breathing, screams and talking to yourself

Stage 5: Loudest breathing, slower walking, seeing things (hanging people, walking monsters, limbs, blood, text on walls)

Stage 6: Talking to yourself and Sound disorientation

The last stage is the most briljant of them all:

The player has a sound listener attached to itself. The listener is responsible for hearing where audio comes from. Normally you hear sound to the left in your left speaker etc. But when very scared, the listener starts to rotate in random angles. This results in hearing (scary) sound from a different direction. eg. sound coming from left in front of you, now comes from above and behind you. You become completely disoriented. You will start looking behind you more often and become paranoid as hell. Sound is very important (if not the most) in horror games.

Actual Amnesia experience:

I remember when I heard an icy scream, I looked behind me, but there was nothing there. When I looked back to my original position there was an enemy right in front me. (It had spawned there during my rotation!! Awesome stuff right?). I literary punched my screen. Never did I get so scared in a game.

Yes indeed, sound in a horror game (and also the lack of sound = silence) is very important in horrorgames. Horrorgames are all about trying to make the player feel as if he's alone, and yet surrounded by evil things. Making the player feel insecure and abandoned / in danger.

It's those sudden things (like in Amnesia) that can scare the hell out of you.

P.S. that is an epic zombie btw...

Thanks, Benton. This one is still WIP. smile.png

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

I think something like that is doable but maybe zombie game is easier?

I think we can say in advance that we wont reach the level of amnesia. Although a horror game is nice, I think you need a good story. Something that is very difficult if it is done properly. With LE you can make the setting, place scary sounds randomly etc. But tweaking all that and making it interessting for the player to play: thats really difficult.

Personally my choice is a simple zombie shooter. Lets first try that before we try something more difficult. We can always expand from there on out.

Sure, good idea. We don't have to do just ONE game.

So are you gonna create a thread and a google doc?

Guest Red Ocktober

attempting an expansive outdoor shooter, like a sub, naval, or helicopter combat game would involve many problems that you'd have to overcome (trust me on this smile.png )... a game with limited (but good) visuals might be a better first choice...

but...

Penumbra isn't a horror game... i think it's more of a puzzle solver...

while it has a horror theme, and the immersive qualities and gameplay lends itself to that of a horror movie, the game itself is based on solving puzzles to progress and survive... there's no BFGs, hand guns, etc and you don't run around shooting zombies...

you've gotta define clear what it is you're going to build...

a horror game or a zombie game isn't the type of the game... it's just the setting for the game... what you do in the game determines what kinda game it is...

FPS=hand with gun shooting stuff... Puzzle=task solving in order to progress and gain inventory (which in turn helps you progress)... both can be set in a horror environment...

HalfLife is a combination of the two... shooting and task solving in order to progress and survive...

you should be crystal clear on this sorta thing before you go any farther...

(posted before last two posts... Aggror hit the nail on the head in his post... a shooter is what you'll be making if you go with that... examples of a simple shooter with zombies

skip the plane part at the beginning and Furious Frank
)

--Mike

• Upvote 1

And I still kinda think it should be a post apocalyptic shooter :/ I like that idea because it is original, but if we do something like a horror game or a full on fps game, we would be constantly comparing to things like amnesia or call of duty..

PS: should I go ahead and make a google docs project?

Win7 64bit, Leadwerks SDK 2.5, Visual Studio 2012, 3DWS, 3ds Max, Photoshop CS5.

Life is too short to remove USB safely.

And I still kinda think it should be a post apocalyptic shooter :/ I like that idea because it is original.

There's nothing original about a post apocalyptic shooter these days tbh.

Here area few recently existing:

- Rage

- Fallout 3 & New Vegas

- Metro 2033

- Borderlands.

Anyway, not that I'm against the idea. Just thought I'd point that out. You'd struggle to find anything original in an FPS these days its the most done genre. Good thing is its probably the easiest kind of game to make so if this project has a chance of succeeding it would be with an FPS

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Exactly, the scripts for shooting a gun are really simple.

Is the purpose of this project just to show something in showcase or is it intended to be something the whole community can learn from?

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

You mean I should cancel the bank account in the Cayman Islands where the code was going to be kept?!