Is this forest scene practical (Frames Per Second).

scotty0351

I have done much denser scenes at a high framerate.

It's hard to tell how far off the trees are visible, and how dense they are.

Distance culling is your friend. The smaller a plant is, the nearer the distance culling should be. This can make the difference between unplayable and good frame rates.

It also appears you are attempting to fill the emptiness of the scene by adding unnaturally dense trees in the far distance. Ground cover will do a better job of this, and can be distance culled with no visible loss of quality. Add more bushes and rocks to fill up the empty forest floor. If you had twenty rocks visible onscreen, it would make the scene look like a real forest, and the rendering cost would be very little.

Billboards can make trees in the distance cost pretty much nothing to render. There's a setting for the billboard distance in the vegetation options.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I thought I had to make the billboards myself but I guess not. I tried it out and I am seeing an improvement but I might have to modify the LODs further.

I thought about adding rocks but my reference image didn’t have any rocks so I was trying to go without. I’m trying to recreate 12th century Duchy of Normandy (in modern day Normandy France) and I found some references of a forest near Rouen France.

post-2164-0-49182700-1327862654_thumb.jpg

The thing that stands out to me is those trees in your inspiration picture are much larger than the trees in your scene. Scaling them to be larger can help fill out your scene. Also you notice some trees that spider web out right from the ground and have leaves really close to the ground. You can see that on the left hand side of your inspiration picture clearly. That helps fill out the scene too. I would think more leaves than trunk and branches should help since leaves on most tree models are pretty close to what billboards are.

Turn on SSDO, make your ambient light dark desaturated blue, make the sunlight slightly orange and crank the intensity up, enable HDR, and that will look fantastic.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Some trees have lot of branches, they should be displayed maximum details only on nearest range.

Or try less branches, lot more LOD optimisations like : 3 sided cylinders for little branches, not more until you are very near !

Maximum cylinders of 5 , 7 or more polygons side only visible when you are in front.

MipMapping can improve frame rate also.

Shadows only on nearest trees will make you gain a lot of frame rate, i see shadows on far trees.

Another technique is doing like UT3, you can use projected precalculated shadow sprite : texture projection that indeed is

incredibly fast compared to real shadows.

A game is AI, HUD, particles, characters, etc ... so your visual scene should run as fast and smooth possible before adding these

elements that will also eat power :)

Stop toying and make games

First potential issue that comes to mind is I’m using the Day Night as my sky dome so I deleted that and had a jump of 3 frames per second. As far as texture size most are 1024x1024 and most of the trees are mult-sub object with textures for leafs (color only) and bark (color & normal).

Update:

Loaded the terrain_arctic and walking around I’m at 11 to 12 frames per second so maybe it’s just my computer.

First potential issue that comes to mind is I’m using the Day Night as my sky dome so I deleted that and had a jump of 3 frames per second. As far as texture size most are 1024x1024 and most of the trees are mult-sub object with textures for leafs (color only) and bark (color & normal).

Update:

Loaded the terrain_arctic and walking around I’m at 11 to 12 frames per second so maybe it’s just my computer

Something really odd here. I don't think it's your computer because your's is similar to mine but with a better graphics card.

Could you post the game folder (just make sure you password protect first) so we can try it

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!