A question about image format

Rageulma

Hi,

i'm a c++ programmer and i want to do a game. I have been search a game engine to use in my next game in c++ and one I found is Leadwerks. My game have many screens in jpg, and png, before the 3D game. Searching in the API and the forum I think that i seen that only support dds images, that is it? Is there anyway to load PNG, JPG images for this screens or HUD?

Thanks in advance and Sorry for my very bad english.

Regards

As you correctly states the engine does only read DDS. However a conversion utility called MakeDDS comes with the installation. This one can convert your PNG and JPG to DDS very quick and easy.

Thank you for your fast answer, is there any advantages in use dds files instead PNG or JPG? I want that my games will be moddeable by users with their own photos or screens and dds format is less knowly and hard to find tools to edit that the other formats.

Thank you very much.

The difference between DDS and the other formats (PNG, TGA, etc) is that DDS is a TEXTURE file, where the others for IMAGE files.

This means DDS files can contain information that normal images won't support: mip maps, cube maps, volume textures.

Most image files only really support RGB or RGBA data. DDS files also support a larger variety of formats: DXT, RGB565, RGBA4444, etc.

Because they can store mip maps they can often be loaded faster, since map maps don't need to be generated.

AV MX Linux

Also DDS has hardware support on the graphics card, it takes generally less room on the cards video memory as it can be stored compressed and then expanded without using the CPU. So you get more texture storage on the card by using this format.

By the way, if you are designing your game to be moddable then you might want to check the End User Licence Agreement first as there are some restrictions on moddable games. I'd run your basic idea past Josh at Leadwerks first before committing yourself to deeply as he has the final say on this. If it doesn't affect gameplay and is just cosmetic its probably ok.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Ok thanks for the explanation. I want that game will be moddeable, when choose the engine i'll read licence and show Josh the basic idea. Its only cosmetic to personalize the game, for that was so important the image format were "more standard".

Thanks for the replies

You can also download a plug-in for GIMP so it can save and load DDS. I used Paint.NET earlier for DDS, but because it doesn't have resizable selections, I use only GIMP now. GIMP is also cross-platform, so if you change between Windows, Mac, Linux, you have the same tool available.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■