.gmf to .[...] (whatever, .obj, .3ds, .x, .fbx, etc.)

Masterxilo

I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

EDIT: Am I/is it even allowed to make such a program? I guess (/hope) so.

offhand i would assume if josh hasn't made one by now means that he doesn't want one made... nor should you want one either really... having a tool like that just makes it easier for people to steal assets that don't even have the sdk...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Hi Masterxilo,

from my point of view the strength of formats and sdk's like LE is from the usability and documentation.

So i think you'll raise the strength of leadwerks if you build such an converter :)

cu

Oliver

Windows Vista 64 / Win7 64 | 12GB DDR3 1600 | I7 965 | 2 * 280GTX sli | 2 * 300GB Raptor | 2 * 1.5TB

Its a really bad idea to make this available to people. Don't see the reason why you need to go from gmf to anything else... no 3d modelling app out there inherently makes this format (without one of the user-made converters/plugins) which means that if it really is your model, then you should already have it in another format anyways.

macklebee's channel

I agree. This is a bit kinda reverse-engineering stuff, and it's one of the big no-nos in ANY engine.

GMF must be the final format, the one you give in your games, but not a regular 3d format used in the production pipeline.

Win8.1 Pro X64/ Intel core I7 @ 3.5GHz / 32GB DDR3 SDRAM / GeForce GTX 660+760/ VC++ Express 2013/ Blender /Unwrap3dpro3 /Modo 8

there is the full format description http://www.leadwerks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Model_Format

so there is no magic behind the scene!

And btw. some of us are creating mesh data with le so not just having them in gmf instead in many others would be a huge gain!

i would use it, as discribed above...

cu

Oliver

Windows Vista 64 / Win7 64 | 12GB DDR3 1600 | I7 965 | 2 * 280GTX sli | 2 * 300GB Raptor | 2 * 1.5TB

I have no objection to a converter being made from gmf to another format.

do we have a decent way of locking down our assets yet? because you know better than anyone here, the moment that gmf2-whatever converter gets released it will be all over the internet... just making it even easier for people to steal models. what are you using for the private folder models?

macklebee's channel

do we have a decent way of locking down our assets yet? because you know better than anyone here, the moment that gmf2-whatever converter gets released it will be all over the internet... just making it even easier for people to steal models. what are you using for the private folder models?

Zip password protection I think.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

I had no idea the format specs were available, lol :) I guess it's inevitable then, hehehehe. Besides, if Josh has got no prob with it, then I guess it's ok. Still I think (and prefer) having the gmf models as final format and not the other way around.

Win8.1 Pro X64/ Intel core I7 @ 3.5GHz / 32GB DDR3 SDRAM / GeForce GTX 660+760/ VC++ Express 2013/ Blender /Unwrap3dpro3 /Modo 8

• 2 weeks later...

You do realize this is ultimately impossible to protect, right? eventually someone will hook the underlying zip api, or even opengl, and dump every loaded model/texture/script no matter what. There's no magic esoteric way of avoiding the fact that to see it on the screen you need to load a decrypted asset at some point. Asset protection is a non issue, and has always been.

Desktop:

Intel 2600K - Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 - 16GB G.Skill Sniper - EVGA 580 gtx - Raid0 OCZ Vertex 3 SSD - Win7 64bit.

Why would you have to try and protect them for legal purposes? So you can hit offenders w/ a DMCA violation suit as well as a copyright violation suit?

I know Ubu uses lots of models bought from Dexsoft, and the EULA stipulates that the assets are in protected form when distributed, this may be what he means.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

From Dexsoft's Indie EULA:

© This license permits the use of the assets for ANY PUBLISHED non-Game application such as simulations, virtual worlds, or other non-Game products,as long as assets are in protected form (dll, exe or some other protected format file).

And yes Niosop, that could be a reason. Stopping people legally is plan B when you can't actually stop them physically.