GvB

Rick

This is my game I'm working on GvB (Good vs Bad) which is 100% Lua. I'm hoping to get this running in LE3 on a mobile platform via Josh's request from us to provide such a game. There is sound but my mic is horrible so you probably have to turn it all the way up.

This video is already really outdated as it took around 8 hours to upload it. I now have every model playing idle and walk animations and they can all move now as well. I also have some cooldown logic running.

Talked with the A* for lua library guy and he's going to fix that bug is his pathfinding tonight so that should be in tomorrow.

Next Steps

========

Currently working out the combat system!

I'm genuinely excited to see this running. It's brilliant.

One of the things I do to explore game rules is turn it into bits of paper and dry run it at a table, really scrappy rips with scribbles. One of the Harry Potter games had it's mechanics tested using cardboard, pencils and blu-tac, much cheaper the prototyping code and the sort of thing you can do it in an afternoon, beer garden optional.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Thanks Pixel. Hoping to get the abilities in somewhat working condition this weekend and then it's on to the AI which I'm sure is going to be tough. Not really even sure where to begin with that in this type of game. I guess I'll have to pick a strategy for the AI to follow and try not to make it that obvious to the player somehow ;)

Guest Red Ocktober

reminds me of Battle Chess... with a few missing pieces...

looking good so far...

if this is in lua this may be exactly what Josh is looking for...

--Mike

That looks cool! Yeah that's sort of the idea I'm going for except more abilities per piece, less move restrictions, and "real-time" instead of turn based. I want/will bring internet play to this also and actually would love to make it pure network play because then I wouldn't have to make AI, but I suppose people prefer playing against AI at first to learn the game.

If Josh is able to get networking in LE3 and have it working in Lua and multiple platforms that would be perfect. If he doesn't then I want to branch the code off and find a Lua networking library for Windows, at least, and see if I can get it on Steam and integrate it with steam id's because I'd love to have global rankings of players based on their steam id. I'm picturing having a Play Random button that gets you in the game against a live player quickly and handles rankings.

Actually those screenshots are showing me that I should make some different arenas instead of having just the black background.

Actually those screenshots are showing me that I should make some different arenas instead of having just the black background.

I like this idea! Or even just a magical looking skybox with some coloured emitters that look like spells perhaps? :P

Intel core 2 quad 6600 | Nvidia Geforce GTX460 1GB | 2GB DDR2 Ram | Windows 7.

Google Sketchup | Photoshop | Blender | UU3D | Leadwerks Engine 2.4

Great game :)

An idea for your game , perhaps put some traps and buttons , when a character reaches a squarre tile where is the button, this button would

activate a trap where another character could be , it could bring more strategy to the game.

I'm interested even more on your project caus i also take the Full and fast Lua way.

Stop toying and make games

I've had this idea for this game for many years. I remember about 2 years ago I played around with that idea. I had an archer class that could place an ice trap on a tile and when an enemy would step on that tile it would freeze them in place. I might do something similar but as a different ability since I don't have an archer :)

I have stealth working now for the assassin, which I think is pretty sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Laurens. The last week or so has been hard to find time to work on it but I pick away a little at a time. Will probably have another video update in 2 weeks or so. I'm still kind of looking for a good Lua networking library so I can get multiplayer in this thing as that's where the real value is with a game like this. Having ladder tournaments and stuff like that to create a sense of community and competition I think is key to this games success.

@Rick :

What you could do is bigger board why not with Zoom/Dezoom function , and original gameplay elements like Trees or rocks on some squarres where you could not walk into.

Or destroyable things on the squarre to be able to go through and reach some destination ?

It would become a real warfare Chess Board :(

Will your game will be purely multiplayer or do you plan some campaign mode :( ?

Some campaign mode with missions, different group of ennemies and traps, conditions, RPG elements and power tree to unlock on your characters as you go throught story.

I hope we will see more on special gameplay of each character abilities.

Keep it up !

Stop toying and make games