Dirty Programming

Matrix

Well, I on the other hand love programming and the challenges it brings and would rather be doing that than dragging and dropping and what not. But I have a question about the languages used. I see C and C++. But then I see something about C#. But it's unclear to me if Leadwerks can program the game using C#. Does the engine use C Sharp or just C/C++?

Developers, developers, developers, developers.

You can program Leadwerks with any language, but you need the headers first.

Here is a list of programming languages which you can theoretically use with Leadwerks, as long it supports loading dlls:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages

Actually I just fell in love with COBOL when I looked at the hello world examples of those languages. It's the first language ever invented, in 1959 :rolleyes:

In COBOL you can just say:

ADD YEARS TO AGE

while in most other languages you have to say it in less human readable format like:

age = age + years

or

age += years

So a Leadwerks example in COBOL could look like this:

CALL 'CREATECUBE'
   USING BY REFERENCE WS-FLD-E
END CALL.
CALL 'TURNENTITY'
   USING BY CONTENT WS-FLD-E, WS-FLD-V1X, WS-FLD-V1Y, WS-FLD-V1Z
END CALL.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

LE 2 uses BMax but makes itself available to be programed in other languages like C/C++, .NET, Java, etc. C/C++, Lua, & BMax are the only "officially" supported languages though.

LE 3 will be programmed in C/C++ but other languages will be unofficially supported just like today.

Actually I just fell in love with COBOL

That's the first time I've ever heard that in my life :rolleyes:

That's great! And that link you posted with the list of pretty much every language out there literally made me laugh and I said "That's pretty epic." haha But if that's the case then I have finally settled on a game engine. I'm really looking forward to using the Leadwerks engine. Thanks guys!

Developers, developers, developers, developers.

I think I will make Fortran G77 headers for LE2 now, at least a minimal header to play around and learn new things :rolleyes:

I heard that Fortran is faster than C++, so I must test it a bit.

The MinGW suite includes C, C++, Fortran, Ada, Java, Objective-C, and at least the MinGW C++ compiler is one of the fastest I've seen.

EDIT: OMG! I made a test program, and fortran was 3.6% faster than C++ with the same compiler options. I think I found finally a better language than C++!

EDIT2: 4.3% faster with G95. I will write a post when I get some first G95 LE2 demo working.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■