Lack of scaling in Editor

VeTaL

21 members have voted

1. 1. How are you living without scaling?

• I dont need it
    • I convert new model for each case
    • I'm gonna to write own editor with scaling (with re-creation of physical body after releasing scale button)
    • I'm gonna to write own editor with scaling (with own physics engine which supports scaling)

Well, imagine a situation: i need to place 2 stones: one should be large, another one is small... do i need to convert one models two times?

And what if there are 20 stones with different sizes with different scales.

Or if i want to make some playtests and create level, which consists of my content + different-scaled boxes.. I need to convert hundreds of different shapes boxes instead of one working scale.

I thought, you're talking about something like Hammer with modification for Leadwerks - that should be nice indeed.

Working on LeaFAQ :)

...and nobody knows, when LE 3 will come :)

Really, i need at least box scaling:

i grab scale arrow - physic box is deleted

i drop scale arrow - new bbox size is calculated and new box body is created

this is basic, but extremely important thing - i think, its better to make us at least this thing, but not to cut down scaling in general

In addition, there are still important things like limitation on 5 textures number and undo - i dont think that new editor for LE 3 would be avaivable in the nearest half of year.

Why not write a base script and scale it from there (you can also easily recreate the physics body), if you need scaling in the LE editor so badly ? .. I needed to write my own editor anyway, so this wasn't as big issue for me, but I still have to rely on LE editor for vegetation :)

A while ago I made this script, for now I using this.. :)

require("scripts/class")
local class=CreateClass(...)

function class:InitDialog(grid)
self.super:InitDialog(grid)
group=grid:AddGroup("Scale")
group:AddProperty("Scale",PROPERTY_FLOAT,"1,4,2")
group:Expand(1)
end

function class:CreateObject(model)
local object=self.super:CreateObject(model)

object.model:SetKey("scale","1")

function object:SetKey(key,value)
	if key=="scale" then
		self.scale=tonumber(value)
		model:SetScalef(self.scale,self.scale,self.scale,0)
	else
		return self.super:SetKey(key,value)
	end
	return 1
end

end

So you add this functionality to every object that you need scaling on? I assume you handle scaling the model when you load a scene then too not just when you set the property?

Sounds like physics bodies in Newton can't be resized so this could cause issues around that and collisions.

Even if that rescales the body of the model, you might want to stress test collisions as I believe it'll look like the body is rescaled but doesn't act correctly. Again I'm not interested in testing this currently, just letting you know to take caution because I seem to remember scaling and newton bodies not working nicely together even if it looks like the body is scaled.

//Sounds like physics bodies in Newton can't be resized so this could cause issues around that and collisions.

Well, just grab that script and try it out, like me :)

Its quite simple indeed, should work

I was under the impression that Newton does not do scaling. So unless you delete the .phy file you will simply have a larger or smaller mesh with the same .phy file dimensions.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

//I seem to remember scaling and newton bodies

I'm talking about creation new phys-bodyes, depending on new scale of visual body

//So unless you delete the .phy file you will simply have a larger or smaller mesh with the same .phy file dimensions.

Got a crazy idea about making *.bat file or so, which would replace all *.phy files with one special smallcube.phy (which describe small cube )

Hello,

sorry, because i'm not a great programmer, and, if it was so simple, maybe it just was already made, but when you open

the editor and have a new object that not was in the list last time you opened the editor, it make a phy file of that object, automatically.

And, if you close the editor, erase the phy file, scale the object and open again the editor, a new phy file of that object, is created and

works perfectly. So why is so difficult or impossible to make a script that erases and creates a new phy file from the object you scale, like

when the editor is opened? or just the same part of program that creates the file when open the editor?

Sorry again because probably it's not possible.