Lack of scaling in Editor

VeTaL

21 members have voted

1. 1. How are you living without scaling?

• I dont need it
    • I convert new model for each case
    • I'm gonna to write own editor with scaling (with re-creation of physical body after releasing scale button)
    • I'm gonna to write own editor with scaling (with own physics engine which supports scaling)

There is 1 phy file per model. If you have 5 instances of a model that you've scaled to 5 different scales, how would the 1 phy file represent all 5 instances?

You make a copy of the MESH, scale it with ScaleMesh(), and then recreate the BODY with CreateBodyHull (for each surface of the copied mesh), and parent it all back to the MODEL instance you scaled with ScaleEntity(), and get rid of the original body

That's fine and dandy but now you are creating copies instead of using instances which isn't ideal. Having the phy file just causes issues and I believe is one of many reasons Josh is looking at other physics engines.

The other side effect there would be timing. I believe creating bodies on complex models has a noticeable delay to it and LE isn't threaded so now you are talking about adding threading to the mix because otherwise every time you change the scale, even by a small amount that would have to happen.

You create one temp copy of the mesh, from which you re-construct the body, which you parent to the INSTANCED mesh.. because ScaleMesh breaks instancing but you need a scaled mesh to get the proper body (not scaled entity matrix) .. so you can have MESH instances with different bodies, .. how would 1 phy file represent one SCALED model anyway? ,

.. True, you can't have dynamic scaling (of the physics), but at least you don't have to have a bunch of pre-scaled GMF files, which you would need to load seperately anyway and that would take even more time, plus you can preserve instancing this way

.. True, you can't have dynamic scaling (of the physics), but at least you don't have to have a bunch of pre-scaled GMF files, which you would need to load seperately anyway and that would take even more time, plus you can preserve instancing this way

Yeah creating separate meshes isn't a solution I would want either. I think Josh needs to make this possible most of these solution in the editor is pretty hacky and is most likely prone to issues.

• 3 weeks later...