Would anyone be interested in a Java wrapper?

L B

I've started school in Java and it could be a fun project to do to learn. Does anybody need/want that?

• Yes, for development
  • Yes, for the theoretical aspect
  • Yes, in the ideology that LE has all common languages
  • No, not at all

"Yes, for the theoretical aspect"

Making a dll work in Java is a pretty difficult and annoying task. I think you even have to write some of wrapper dll with their API.

Let me know how you'll do it. Once you get the base working, automating the conversion of the c headers shouldn't be too difficult and LE would have one more supported language!

I would like to have LW working in java. I tried to the other day and couldn't get it to work. I wrote all the Java side native interface part and generated the header file but then I was stumped on the C++ side as I don't know it much.

I couldn't work out what types to use and how to write the inplamentation of the wraper. Maybe if I was good at C++ I could do it but then why would I need it in Java lol.

I managed to get some simple functions in a dll and then load it in java and use them there but not the Leadwerks stuff. I have been using Java on my college courses and I understand it far better then I do C++ so I would really like it to try stuff out in Java then do a rewrite in C++ once I have it working. Or if it was a reasonable speed I would just use it in Java. I was thinking of writing some classes for AI in Java then using them as a Library to use in C++. By the way the JNI documentation does say that if you use the native code librarys then there is not much of a lost of speed if you keep comunication between both sides to a minimum. Do a large chunk on one side then send it across, don't do lots of little transfers and it is ok. Not sure if that is very helpful in a game engine =).