Android development

Josh

I'm inclined to agree. It seems when you try to make things easier, sometimes the net effect can be to just attract the lowest-skilled users and raise support costs.

Well... won't the flowgraphs in 3.0 work for Android too? If so, it wouldn't increase support costs by much I wouldn't think.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

So just to get back on topic, why wouldn't you use luajit for this? Its already a common language being used by bmaxer's and c++'ers, not to mention the users that are already solely using lua for LE. And you do not have to use the Android SDK? Where's the problem?

It would be a good easy route, but...

1. It would break continuity with the engine design. If all I was making was an easy game creator for Android, it would make sense, but Leadwerks is generally used by pretty good programmers. After the first month, I think there would be a lot of complaints about Lua.

Well... won't the flowgraphs in 3.0 work for Android too? If so, it wouldn't increase support costs by much I wouldn't think.

Most of the flowgraph functionality will be implemented in the editor, so it will work fine on Android.

Any comments regarding your current/future team size?

It's just me for the C++ core. The plan is to get that done myself, then add more programmers once there is a framework for them to work within. Once that core C++ code is done, we can do anything: add XBox support, add iPhone support, whatever.

Thanks for your feedback. The purpose of Leadwerks is to provide decent programmers with a way to easily make the things they want. Therefore, when an Android version comes out, it will be released as a static library compiled through NDK, which can then be used with Google's official development route.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

XNA allows C# only. So the whole engine would have to be written just for C#, and it would be slow.

I am focusing on functionality. Leadwerks 3 is a complete rewrite in C++. I am asking for feedback because I want to account for as much as possible when designing it.

why i was programming in c++ then ? ;)

You can use c++, but It's not officialy supported, but everything works.

-= Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz - ATI HD5870 - 6 GB DDR3 RAM - Windows 8 Pro 64x=-