Android development

Josh

I'm working with the Android SDK. There are three different ways I can go about making Leadwerks Engine 3 run on the Android:

1. Provide a static library compiled using the Android NDK for use with Java. You would program in Java with Eclipse, which seems to be the standard Android development route. It is possible to compile a pure C++ app for Android using a third-party compiler.

2. Provide a programming language and IDE. Codewerks can compile easy object-oriented code for Android and launch your app in the emulator, or create an Android package ready to install on your phone.

3. Focus support on Lua. By using LuaJIT, speed would be as fast as a regular Android app.

With options 1 and 2, you would have to download and install about 4 different packages besides Leadwerks for Android and adjust various settings. This task took me about half an hour. With option 3, you could publish Android packages ready to install, and never even have to install the Android SDK.

Your thoughts?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

4. Makes no difference, as it wont be of use to me.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

I dont like lua syntax very much i prefer a language like Java or C++, this is more professionnal

In that case why would you use Leadwerks for Android, when you can get Airplay SDK and publish to all mobile platforms? For a programmable SDK for mobile development, it seems impossible to outdo what they have.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I'm inclined to agree. It seems when you try to make things easier, sometimes the net effect can be to just attract the lowest-skilled users and raise support costs.

C / C++ is not so hard to learn :blink:

Like a lot of user of this forum i dont want to have a simplified engine, i just want power between my hand to do what i want ;)

I like LeadWerks engine because i can do my own material editor, particle editor in C / C++ to suit my game project, i can use a lot of external libraries...

For the "noob users" i think that the community support begin to be quite good, if they have some C / C++ questions they can have answer on this forum and the current lua integration allow them to make some game concept quite fast in a more easy way maybe than with a C / C++ language.

For my game project i am using lua only to configure some new entities in the editor (lua is very usefull for that).

Im loading the scene, scanning all entities in the scenes, and im creating new entities based on my C++ classes, and i am deleting the lua created entities in the scene.

If we want to see some AAA title on this engine better to stay with a powerfull and very supported language :)

You guys are going to be the death of me. Josh

C++ isn't supported on Android for the whole application. There's a third-party compiler with a non-working OpenGL example, but it's not officially supported.

Java is ok for me, this is a good language, it's more like C / C++ than lua is :blink:

I am working like this:

- Lua LW integration for adding entities in the editor.

- Lua personnal integration in my C++ game framework to be able to tweaks game events and AI for exemple without recompiling the code each time.

- C / C++ for the rest.

( sorry for my english mistakes btw )

You guys are going to be the death of me. Josh

Yeah, I think the C++ lib is the most versatile approach. If we aim for the noobs, the support costs will be higher, and they'll probably never be satisfied anyways.

C++ for me.

However, at the moment, it won't be anything more than a toy to mess around with for a couple of minutes.

To be honest, I would prefer to see Leadwerks as more of a console SDK, so Xbox and PS3 support >,>

Or at least integrated AI/extra C++ features and support.

I would love to see the Editor on the level of the UDK editor.

On my computer, UDK runs amazingly, yet Editor doesn't run at all (as in near zero framerates)

Also, we still need those auto saves and undo's <--- very important to us.

So overall, please fix the problems of Leadwerks before moving to another platform.

And if you are to move to another platform, please consider Xbox for the others.

simpleSigPNG.png

Programmer/Engineer/Student

www.reikumar.com

2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo - nVidia GeForce 8600 GT - Windows 7 64-bit - 4 Gigs RAM

C++ - Visual Studio Express - Dark GDK - Leadwerks SDK

I would love to see the Editor on the level of the UDK editor.

On my computer, UDK runs amazingly, yet Editor doesn't run at all (as in near zero framerates)

Unreal doesn't allow any number of shadow-casting lights. It combines a lot of different lighting techniques with nice artwork.

And if you are to move to another platform, please consider Xbox for the others.

Why? Do you have an XBox developer license?

That doesn't matter actually. If people their software also works on Playstation and X360 they might get a developer license. Why would he get a license if the engine doesn't support it? :blink:

That doesn't matter actually. If people their software also works on Playstation and X360 they might get a developer license.

How much do you think a license for an XBox version of Leadwerks would cost?

5,000-10,000 USD depnding how big a developer you are, i think.but still i think it would be a good option to be able to develop on concsoles.

Tools:

AC3D | 3D Canvas(pro) | Texture Maker(pro) | Genetica(basic) | 3D World Studio | Fragmotion |Leadwerks 2 | XNA 4 | Visual Studio 2010 Professional | XCode 5.x |UU3D Pro

Programing & Scripting Languages:

C |C++ | C# | Obj-C | LUA | Javascript | PHP | Ruby

Again, its irrelevant. I like Leadwerks and I'd be willing to pay for it, if and when we get a license from Microsoft.

Plus you would get way more customers just because you offer it.

Another thing to thing about is that UDK is soon to release its Xbox version, as well as CryEngine for indie developers, which is tri-platform.

Again though, multi-platform isn't nearly as important to me as the essential features/tools that we need.

If nothing else, Leadwerks is a great platform for prototyping before a port to a console engine.

simpleSigPNG.png

www.reikumar.com

hehe... and the masses here already freak out about paying $50 for an upgrade... so how many people here are actually going to buy the developer license for xbox? very few i would say... to the point that it makes no sense for josh to spend time on it unless he charges the same for the xbox version of leadwerks as well...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

5,000-10,000 USD depnding how big a developer you are, i think.but still i think it would be a good option to be able to develop on concsoles.

Yet XNA Creators Club is no where near this.

0.o How about an XNA based Leadwerks engine?

I would pay for that in an instant.

hehe... and the masses here already freak out about paying $50 for an upgrade... so how many people here are actually going to buy the developer license for xbox? very few i would say... to the point that it makes no sense for josh to spend time on it unless he charges the same for the xbox version of leadwerks as well...

It seems people missed the point of my initial post.

Its not about Xbox portability.

I'm requesting that Josh focus on functionality before expanding.

That, or get a larger team to have different divisions to work on different things.

Nope, but as it stands, I can't even consider it with Leadwerks because there is no support.

simpleSigPNG.png

www.reikumar.com

Yet XNA Creators Club is no where near this.

0.o How about an XNA based Leadwerks engine?

I would pay for that in an instant.

It seems people missed the point of my initial post.

Its not about Xbox portability.

That, or get a larger team to have different divisions to work on different things.

wasn't responding to your initial post, shard... but to ryao :blink:

macklebee's channel

XNA allows C# only. So the whole engine would have to be written just for C#, and it would be slow.

I am focusing on functionality. Leadwerks 3 is a complete rewrite in C++. I am asking for feedback because I want to account for as much as possible when designing it.

So just to get back on topic, why wouldn't you use luajit for this? Its already a common language being used by bmaxer's and c++'ers, not to mention the users that are already solely using lua for LE. And you do not have to use the Android SDK? Where's the problem?

macklebee's channel

wasn't responding to your initial post, shard... but to ryao :blink:

;)

XNA allows C# only. So the whole engine would have to be written just for C#, and it would be slow.

I am focusing on functionality. Leadwerks 3 is a complete rewrite in C++. I am asking for feedback because I want to account for as much as possible when designing it.

Too bad about XNA then.

I can definitely understand trying to account for future functionality.

Any comments regarding your current/future team size?

simpleSigPNG.png

www.reikumar.com