So How About Them Destructible Objects?

Shard

Just reviving this thread as I didn't get an answer last time but Josh showed us all a video of Newton doing some destructible objects way back in December.

We haven't heard about this since then and I'm just wondering what happened to it.

Currently I am only looking for destructibility on primitives (mostly spheres) for my solar system simulator (so that when planetary collisions happen or tidal forces tear a planet apart).

Anyone know anything about this?

simpleSigPNG.png

Programmer/Engineer/Student

www.reikumar.com

2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo - nVidia GeForce 8600 GT - Windows 7 64-bit - 4 Gigs RAM

C++ - Visual Studio Express - Dark GDK - Leadwerks SDK

You don't necessary need to break models, but you can also use multiple smaller models to assemble one model. To improve performance, you could make them with mass=0 so they are static, and only set mass>0 for those models which have been hit by a raycast.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Guest Red Ocktober
Josh showed us all a video of Newton doing some destructible objects way back in December.

We haven't heard about this since then and I'm just wondering what happened to it.

lua got in the way...

:lol::)

--Mike

recently Josh had hinted that he was going to implement his own physics engine instead of newton and had specifically said that he wasn't going to implement the desctructable physics from newton... if Josh does implement his own physics engine, i wonder how easily user's current projects will update... Julio really needs to create something to easily update existing physics files or allow backwards compatibility with each new version of his sdk...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

destructable physics... perhaps I read it wrong and Josh was just talking about changing how LE and phygen (which he wrote using the newton sdk) are going to create PHY files... and with the latest newton SDK release that fixed the annoying glitch of fast moving objects going thru the terrain, perhaps the newton engine is at a point where Josh doesn't need to incorporate new versions of newton with LE... but in any case, destructable physics seem a very low priority at the moment.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

i dont see why Josh is going to spend some time to write a physics engine while newton offer it with decent quality, newton is probably going to be upgraded with soft bodies and others cool stuff at some point, at least i hope :)

You guys are going to be the death of me. Josh

1. I am for the most part satisfied with Newton, and will continue to work closely with Julio to get the best simulation we can out of it.

2. I'm not adding new features right now. Just fixing bugs, and handling a lot of business stuff. Will get to it when I get to it.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.