Free sculpting application!

Richard Simpson

I'm not sure if this has been posted here before. But I just came across it while searching for sculpting apps.

http://drpetter.se/project_sculpt.html

It's only in the alpha stage at the moment, but I have had a play with it and its pretty fun <_<.

I'm no sculptor (yet!) but I found it pretty easy to get something basic done.

I thought I would put my monster into leadwerks :) even though he is crazily high poly.

post-10-058081900 1278510664_thumb.jpg

post-10-075454900 1278511210_thumb.jpg

post-10-053391300 1278511264_thumb.jpg

Intel core 2 quad 6600 | Nvidia Geforce GTX460 1GB | 2GB DDR2 Ram | Windows 7.

Google Sketchup | Photoshop | Blender | UU3D | Leadwerks Engine 2.4

I tried it a bit, and it's very easy to use. I remembered then that Blender has also sculpting and painting, so I have to try how it compares with Sculptris. It would be probably better to have everything in the same modelling program, since you want to do also animations, boolean operations and vertex fine tuning.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Here is what I will do - 3dCoat for volume...export to Sculptris for detail...export to 3dCoat for retopo and bake and textures...export to blender for export to obj...convert to gmf...import to Leadwerks.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

The only way I could get it to work in blender 2.5 was by creating a sphere, then going into sculpt mode.

In blender 2.49 I just had to enter sculpt mode, and it worked. Even on the square. This didn't work too well though so I had to enter edit mode and subdivide a few times.

no sculpting works fine in blender, just make sure subsurf is not on unless you are using an infinite clay build. But even so I recommend sculptris for sculpting.

Just been playing around in sculptris and ended up making this XD. I had no intention of making a "pig" like creature, but my random hill shape ended up looking like one, so continued working on the shape. I added a six pack too because this pig is badass :blink:

post-10-048777100 1278632925_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

no, it'll stay free, but no support or updates for the free version

anyways, I think I'm wanting to transition from sculptris to some 3d-Coat + Blender partnership for sculpting.

Voxel - quadrangulation(retopo) - sculpt in blender - paint in 3dCoat.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=090617

ZBrush just bought the program + programmer :lol:

Still free though. Probably not for long.

If people had bought his program, he'd be able to work for himself.

As for me, I'll be waiting for something that works in Blender. After being burned by the people that bought Bryce and Hexagon, I am not interested in commercial 3D programs anymore.

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz

GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

4 GB RAM

• 10 months later...

Sculptris creates by default somewhat high poly models, which is good for normal mapping, so my asdasd monster had 58k vertices.

Then I loaded the obj file which I exported from sculptris into UU3D, and chose the "3D/PolyReduce Model..." which is an awesome feature, because you can use a slider to see in realtime how your model looks with lesser polys. So I ended up with the slider set at 8k polys and it still looks very high poly and smooth. So I saved it as gmf and now it's only a 600k gmf which loads very fast in LE2.

Very nice and easy pipeline from sculptris to LE2!

In the feature comparison list it doesn't mention PolyReduce, so it should be in the standard version too, or then they forgot to add it on the pro list.

milkshape has a similar util, only works on X file formats though, but likewise has the slider and realtime display of poly reduction. Great for static models but I'm not sure what it would do to models designed to be animated, you'd probably have to rework the joint areas again afterwards.

I must admit, I have UU3D Pro and I'd never noticed this! There is so much in that app though, it's a voyage of discovery :huh:

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, this is amazing. Always wanted to get into sculpting but could never really afford Zbrush. This does the trick for me didn't even know it existed. Played around with it while I was waiting for my Leadwerks registration code to be sent to me. I love how fluid Sculptis is. Oh and I'm new here, so Hi everyone XD. Check it out:

OctopusScreenie.jpg

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

You creatures are very creative!

Lool, thanks, I try my best!

Wow, this is amazing. Always wanted to get into sculpting but could never really afford Zbrush. This does the trick for me didn't even know it existed. Played around with it while I was waiting for my Leadwerks registration code to be sent to me. I love how fluid Sculptis is. Oh and I'm new here, so Hi everyone XD. Check it out:

OctopusScreenie.jpg

Hey Ken... Nice work on that model. Is that your first attempt, or have you had previous experiance with sculpting? :)