Free sculpting application!

Richard Simpson

After re-visiting this thread again today, I decided to open up sculptris and play around, This time I tried to create a terrain instead of a weird creature :). I used 4 textures from the LE terrain folder for the texture map. The sculptris paint feature is really cool! Here are some pics, one from Sculptris and one from Leadwerks:

post-10-0-64948000-1311519905_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-96942600-1311519888_thumb.jpg

My scaling is way off, hence the giant palm tree!

Intel core 2 quad 6600 | Nvidia Geforce GTX460 1GB | 2GB DDR2 Ram | Windows 7.

Google Sketchup | Photoshop | Blender | UU3D | Leadwerks Engine 2.4

Hey Ken... Nice work on that model. Is that your first attempt, or have you had previous experiance with sculpting? :)

Yes it is my first attempt at sculpting. I always wished I could have gotten into it earlier but couldn't afford Zbrush or Mudbox. Didn't even know that Sculptris existed until I saw this thread. I was getting frustrated while trying to find good sculpting tutorials so I just said "stuff it" and pulled up a picture of an octopus and gave it my best shot. Took me a fair while to do as I'm not used to sculpting. Though my origins in game development is more from the 3D art side so that probably helped XD I have a good 3D sense.... Now I'm just struggling to get into all the programming n stuff.. but getting there steadily.

Oh and nice terrain btw it looks pretty good. I'll have to try painting my octopus later to give those features a go.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Ah cool, I struggle with the programming also. :( Even though sculptris is useful for sculpting terrains, I wouldn't use it for that, because Leadwerks has an awesome terrain editor! Post a pic of your octopus once its all painted please, I would like to see it! :D

Nice work both of you :( Very impressive.

In answer to you comment Richard regarding the terrain editor, although it is awesome the fact that it's based on height maps means it can't do overhangs or arches etc. Looks like Sculptris could be really useful for modelling that sort of feature and used to embellish the Leadwerks terrains!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Yeh it would be good for overhangs. But also normal maps. Once you make a low poly model in max or blender export it to sculptris and detail it up and use the detailed model to make a normal map for your low poly. XD thats what im going to use it for

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Nice work both of you :( Very impressive.

In answer to you comment Richard regarding the terrain editor, although it is awesome the fact that it's based on height maps means it can't do overhangs or arches etc. Looks like Sculptris could be really useful for modelling that sort of feature and used to embellish the Leadwerks terrains!

Ah yeah, that's a good point!