Check out the tutorials

Josh

Guest Red Ocktober

There could be a preferred language option in each user's profile, which is then used to choose the documentation, API or tutorial according to his language. He can still switch to another language of course, it would be only the default choice for him. Then the tutorials don't need a seperate category for language, and it's less to click.

yes... that would make it a lil more user friendly (for lack of a better term) to those seeking help...

that's ok with me if the admin doeesn't mind the extra work...

anything that makeas it straightforward and simple to the person it was desinged to help...

--Mike

I added a BMX section, although there were no BMX tutorials in the database.

I thought about doing the tutorials the same way the command reference works, where you select a language and it displays the code in that language. It would be a nightmare.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

"No Lessons", LOL, that doesn't look very good for the BlitzMax people :blink:

Just remove the C++ word and everyone is happy for now, later on you can think of more advanced language options, but fix the engine bugs first (terrain height modification, skycam rotation, model viewdistance settings, and refraction emitter on water). People are trying to publish games here, and those are quite showstoppers.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Guest Red Ocktober

Thanks Josh...

if you need help with the BlitzMAX section, i'll make myself available... i'm sure there's a few other BlitzMax coders here who'll also offer their assistance...

@ mika...

the c++ tuts are so extensive 'cause c++ coders are usually a dumber lot... after all, they fell prey to the assertion that AAA games are only made in c++... :blink:

--Mike

@ mika...

the c++ tuts are so extensive 'cause c++ coders are usually a dumber lot... after all, they fell prey to the assertion that AAA games are only made in c++... :blink:

There's more to it. First people who have no idea of programming want to code in C++, because all the pros do it too! Then they find out it's too difficult and go back to a BASIC style language, like BlitzMax. Then, if they are really good and actually have learned to program, they start to write games and notice that BlitzMax takes forever to start in Debug mode, and start using C++ again, but this time with success.

Nice, but.. I cannot see C# in the "Programming" section and I think there should be since we have a C# community which seems to be active (at least me and few others Q_Q).

C# and C++ are very similar except for the pointers and destructors. Just replace the '->' with '.', the '*' with nothing, and anything with a '~' in front of it with nothing and you are set. :unsure:

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz

GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

4 GB RAM

lol I think to know enough the differences between C# and C++, but since my "LE language" is C# then I could be interested on writing some tutorials for that and I doubt its correct category would be "C++". Well, if I will be interested on writing some C# tutorials I will request a C# category.

Of course there must be a C# category

AV MX Linux

This is looking good, however I think all of the sections should be put into "programming," and from there you can select certain languages using a checkbox at the top of the page.

Just my 2¢

--Jim

It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

And all tutorials must be available in all languages which are listed in the tutorials.

I don't think the cost/benefit ratio works out favorably for that. I could definitely see having the official tutorials all available in C++ and Lua. I am not sure if another language is warranted, or if that time would be better spent making new tutorials.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I don't think the cost/benefit ratio works out favorably for that. I could definitely see having the official tutorials all available in C++ and Lua. I am not sure if another language is warranted, or if that time would be better spent making new tutorials.

You could have a hand by the community who use languages different from C++ and Lua. Ok I'm going to convert all your official C++ tutorials to C# and add them to the new tutorial C# section (you missed the image, and if you can change the image for all languages with their own official icons should be nicer and may be "Script Programming" changed to "Lua Programming" is also more intuitive ;)) and I'll attach also PDF and sample project too.

PS: Can I use the same text and images from your official PDF? Of course I'd cut your copyright info.

?? FRANCESCO CROCETTI ??

http://skaredcreations.com

I don't see why tutorials for all languages should be provided. Most coders can read code from other languages fine and port that code to their own wished language.

For example, I worked with another engine before that supported Delphi. But didn't had any tutorials for it. I just read C# and C++ tutorials and I managed to make some cool stuff afterwards. I suppose same thing will happen when I start with developing Leadwerks.

I don't see why tutorials for all languages should be provided. Most coders can read code from other languages fine and port that code to their own wished language.

That's what I said from the beginning, but then people started to ask for language specific sections under the tutorials, which makes absolutely no sense if you don't convert all tutorials to all langauges.

I still think there should be only Programming and Scripting sections, and C code has to be treated as a universal language which everyone understands. We also treat english as a universal language, and don't have language specific forums and web sites. And C is the english of programming languages. Besides, C has only 20 commands, which everyone can learn in about an hours or less.

The only good thing about having multiple language tutorials is that believers of a language can immediately see an example how to setup a project using their language, so there could be at least a few reference tutorials which show the essential syntax of one language.

Great work Ziored. It is cool to see that more and more people are contributing to the tutotrials. I think the tutorial section starts to look really good!

For example, I worked with another engine before that supported Delphi. But didn't had any tutorials for it. I just read C# and C++ tutorials and I managed to make some cool stuff afterwards. I suppose same thing will happen when I start with developing Leadwerks.

I get your point. Programmers that do have good knowledge about programming will be able to convert by themselves. But I think that the number of people out there that are not that good with coding, will find this very helpfull.

Can't you add a zip file?

@Josh: is it possible to lock the topics position? At the moment when you edit a tutorial, it gets positioned at the top of the list. This results in a strange numbered list. especially when those tutorials are numbered.

It has already been said: can the category say: Lua (scripting) instead of "scripting"?

Can't you add a zip file?

I'm trying, going to EDIT TUTORIAL, select a ZIP file in one of the two Attachs fields and click SAVE, but it doesn't appear at the end of the article.

@Josh: is it possible to lock the topics position? At the moment when you edit a tutorial, it gets positioned at the top of the list. This results in a strange numbered list. especially when those tutorials are numbered.

Agree, may be it's better the internal counter as order field.

A global text search in all tutorials may be also useful to find something.

?? FRANCESCO CROCETTI ??

http://skaredcreations.com

I decided to focus on the term "scripting" instead of advertising Lua. The third-party script we use should be incidental. The point is it is scripting for Leadwerks.