Back Where I Was 9 Months Ago

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

i've decided to hang in there with LW... but i've decided to revert back to an earlier release... version 2.6... before the onslaught of the lua infection took control of LW B)

my reasons are simple and straight forward...

1- 2.6 worked well for what it was... a straight forward code oriented game api with a decent renderer and editor...

2- 2.6 is not gonna change any... the api is set... none of the code i write for it today will be invalidated by an interim update tommorrow...

3- most of the tuts in the wiki (except the lua tuts) are compatible with the earlier releases of LW... i just finished the particles tut and added the logic to my processscene code (see attached screenie below)...

4- 2.6 has believable ocean water... not the great water we had in 2.26, but also not the jellatin like fluid that the latest release has... and i've been able to edit it to add believable wave action... not the best implementation, but more useful than what's in the latest version...

5- fewer faults... things seem to work like you expect em to... no surprises...

well... now i'm back at work with my GameObjects OOP logic that i started way back when... the goals here remain pretty much the same as they were 9 months ago...

to build self contained game objects that can be dropped into a scene and left alone to do what they were programmed to do...

also, to see if i can create an effective networking structure to syncronize gameobjects across a distributed simulation (this part is gonna be fun... fun as in a real pain)...

anyways... the decision was rough... and long coming... but as LW appears now, it's becoming an unweildly mess... its inconsistencies are just a bit too much for me to deal with...

--Mike

post-65-12768674970968_thumb.jpg

Guest Red Ocktober

i don't think there's any showstoppers in 2.31... 2.32R5 needs to have particles looked at... and the editor faults out at inopertune moments when using large terrains... background colors now affect the entire scene... even with skybox in place ( i know this is supposed to facilitate day/night transitions)...

all can be worked around... i've even implemented some simple code to make the water not look so bad when submerged and looking up... but who knows what 2.32R6 has in store...

and now, the home page hardly mentions BlitzMax...

nooo... if i'm gonna stay with LW, it's gonna be on something that's gone through the dev cycle... 2.6 i find workable... stable... graphically rich... simple to use...

2.31 would be my option if i was forced to use a newer version... and that would be in order to use Dave's neat Zone content that's been promised...

where is he btw B)

(gotta run... i'm supposed to be in court in 30 minutes, and i haven't even taken a shower yet... more later)

--Mike

Move the decimal one place to the left and then stick a 2 in front of it
I thought that also first, but then this sentence makes no sense:
2.6 has believable ocean water... not the great water we had in 2.26
Or maybe he made a typo there.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Yeah, his right hand might have been in 45 degree angle, so instead of hitting the 3, he hit 6. Does it mean he has a small keyboard or just broad shoulders? Or maybe he just has his keyboard not centered, but on the left, so the mouse can be moved easier. He probably likes to use mouse a lot, and avoid keyboard.

Guest Red Ocktober

(back quicker than i thought... adjournment)

can i quote you on that Sanctus... B)

that's what i'm wonderin' about NA... a while back i was told to code in bmax... for compatibility with the macintosh version, which was going to be released sometime around february... i assumed it was gonna be february 2010... stooopid me...

now... well, i dunno what to think... converting the logic over to c++ won't be too hard... but it will be a definite pain... if i have to... ahhhh we'll wait and see...

Lum, Mumbles... my mistake...

that's what i meant to type...

--Mike

..well..i hope i will not be forced to use C++ with LE, then i can just stick with Phyre anyway..i do like C++ after using it with Phyre and i must admit..its quite handy, after some things 'you crack over your head'..however, its very difficult to beat up BMax with Blide for coding comfort..seriously..and I really dont want to lose LE from my work pipeline..thats for sure..i mean..why Lua as a scripting language is there, less capable than so elegant language such as Bmax, on every aspect? ehh

Just curious, not trying to be condescending or anything, but does BMax allow you to compile dynamically like .NET does? In .NET one can compile scripts while the main program is running into the main program and then run the code.

A lot of people are using blitzmax with le and having an easier time than some c++ users. It would be a bad marketing move to drop it now.

I too like some previous versions of le and intend to keep copies of them. One of the advantages of bmax is there is only one version so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, unlike c++ which comes in several different flavours with le.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

BlitzMax is not being dropped, I can guarantee it. It might become easier to use, that's all.

Possible future BlitzMax implementation:

Framework Leadwerks.Engine
Initialize() '// Note: RegisterAbstractPath no more needed! And no more cryptic uncommenting/commenting of LUGI generators (I don't even know why they are needed)!
'// Usual stuff here
Terminate()

One of the advantages of bmax is there is only one version so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet, unlike c++ which comes in several different flavours with le.

?? not following what you mean. If you mean LEO and then normal LE, LEO seems to just be an "unofficial" C++ interface to the normal LE commands. We are all using the same C/C++. Don't confuse visual studio with C++. They are different.

i mean..why Lua as a scripting language is there, less capable than so elegant language such as Bmax, on every aspect? ehh

Because the new approach/ direction, like it or not, is about producing a framework to allow for functional objects that artistic people can just drag and drop into their Editors and have do wonderful things! Apparently programmers can't make games and the grand scheme sees them relegated to simply producers of semi intelligent objects that the truly gifted can use for their game designs!

The jury is out on just how effective this will be in the long term but it sells lots of licences ;) Already a whole generation of 2.0+ Leadwerk users are all just biding their time before parting with the next handful of cash based on the belief that this time it will deliver a true drag and drop game design capability despite claims to the contrary. To be fair, I don't blame anyone trying to make a living out of selling game engines from going down this route. The majority of people they need to sell engines to in order to survive are mainly just playing at it ... it's a recreational past time as opposed to a serious endeavour. People who do have the capability to produce finished games of note are not the main market place as they are two low in number to keep the developer in business.

Josh has retained the programming API so capable programmers are unaffected on the whole and able to write whatever they need as additional functionality and tools. Likewise, the talented artists have a great editor facility for prototyping and showing off their designs. It's only where either decides they somehow don't need the other that the line of credibility is crossed. The developer will always try to appease that middle ground as it's by far the largest in terms of occupants and you can produce simple games that way. So long as he does so without affecting the minority then that’s great! Personally I've totally ignored LUA so far as I have no need for it and may never have.

Please excuse my cynicism but I firmly believe that on the whole great games come out of an equal partnership of good programmers and talented artists working in co-operation! Very occasionally those two reside in a single person (unfortunately not in my case B) ). These programmers will hand craft their own engines and the artists will hand craft the assets and both will input into the creative process.

As to your decision Red ... good luck to you. It seems quite valid given your project so long as nothing trips you up further down the line as that version is unsupported as you know.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

LEO is in no way unofficial, it even comes with the SDK, and is updated with each engine change.

LE comes with a procedural C++ interface and a object oriented C++ interface;

it also comes with a hybrid BlitzMax and Lua interface. The C# interface is as good as official too, although it's distributed via SVN. The Object Pascal/Delphi interface is pretty well done too.

From these templates modders can choose if they want to make a procedural or OOP interface for other languages.

When I said different flavours I meant gamelib,leo and c++ and c.I have been given example code recently which only works if you have gamelib ( like TScene)

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

From my understanding LEO usually lagged behind in API updates because someone from the community updating it (much like C#). To me that's not "official". If these languages were official every one of them would be updated with each API change. MS doesn't release a new version of .NET and only give the new features to C# and say VB.NET will come later by a couple guys who update it for us with the changes we made. Each languages MS officially supports is updated with the changes before release BY MS. That's where I'm coming from with all this anyway. So really BMax and the C interface would be official.

It was back then when engine.cpp and leo.cpp was updated by different persons. Usually when multiple person work on something, things get out of sync :) Now it's organized cleaner, so that only one person updates them, and changes are discussed in the council of the wise (that's josh, roland, me, masterxilo, etc...).