More Subs... More Subs...

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

... in Truespace with final detailing before being certified as game ready :(

Sturgeon1.jpg

finally getting the skinning part of this thing to the point where it looks like something... here's a US 637 Class nuclear powered attack sub in it's final stages in the modeller...

Sturgeon2.jpg

bottom shot is of sub with sail planes rotated 90 degrees for surfacing thru the artic ice...

--Mike

• Upvote 1

Yeah I like that.

One ping only please.

I remember this really super modern sub game years back that was played using mostly the "waterfall" sonar display. I'd just bought a Gravis Ultrasound audio card and having to listen to find contacts and use the sonar heat-map was really cool.

SSN Seawolf maybe? Don't recall the name. Think this might have been it. Wiki Link

I haven't played a sub game as good as that since, except maybe the somewhat buggy Silent Hunter 4. And version 5 is visually stunning has a DRM line I won't cross.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Guest Red Ocktober

thx guys for the generous comments...

still got a bit to do, but just getting this far with the skinning and detailing was a bit of an achievement for me...

interior shots soon...

yeah Flex... i think it was SSN Seawolf... i had that one... always kept crashing on me at the most inopportune times, but it was fun to play... i like the idea of navigating blind underwater (like in Hunt For Red October) and prosecuting an unseen target, all by reference to instruments... gonna try an include as much of those aspects into this sim/game...

--Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Red Ocktober

from TrueSpace to the 3D engine... here's what the finished product looks like...

the next thing to do is to see what it'll look like in Leadwerks... to be honest though, there are several factors i gotta consider...

1 - some models, and the way they are skinned just lend themselves better to a less than bleeding edge engine... my skills in modelling stuff aren't up there with the people who did Silent Hunter, and my models, while they will get a passing grade in 3D RAD, i just don't feel are up to speed for Leadwerks, UDK, CryTek.. 3D RAD may fit the bill...

2 - the water... the water in Leadwerks just doesn't cut it... i tried many different variations of LW water... i even managed to add my own wave action... but none even come close to the water pictured in the shot below... and that's a lil less than i really want, but it's acceptable for a 3DRAD game...

3 - time considerations... i don't have much time left to get a game complete and selling... Leadwerks looks like it really won't be ready for prime time until near years end...

so... given the above, i dunno... spending time porting models over to LW may just not be worth it... there's a lot of stuff that's gotta go over... the planes, rudder, periscopes, radio masts, props, hatches... all are independent parts that are animated...

ahhh, what the heck... i'll probably port most of it over just to see what it looks like... in the meantime, here's what the final product looks like... click on the thumb for 1400 x 788 screenshot...

(please be gentle in the crtitiques... ;) just kidding, i wanna hear it as you see it... thx)

--Mike

post-65-12754033085827_thumb.jpg

from TrueSpace to the 3D engine... here's what the finished product looks like...

ahhh, what the heck... i'll probably port most of it over just to see what it looks like... in the meantime, here's what the final product looks like... click on the thumb for 1400 x 788 screenshot...

(please be gentle in the crtitiques... :D just kidding, i wanna hear it as you see it... thx)

--Mike

What program are you modeling with (TrueSpace i guess :) ) ? That can make a big difference. For instance texturing with 3dCoat is approx 1000% less difficult than with some other programs like Max and yes... even blender ;)

So I say if you want to take your texturing up a notch or two, try 3dCoat. I can do things in 3dCoat in 5 mins that would take 20 mins in photoshop or blender. And it's not just about time, it's about quality too. Trust me.

You will giggle at how cool it is.

Edit: And use blender instead of TrueSpace. Well that's my suggestion anyway. Btw, your use of ellipses is really hypnotizing...and I think it's catching on... But yeah, I would suggest using blender instead of true space. I know I am biased. But blender is like the Android for Google and TrueSpace is the Iphone. Droid DOES... a lot more than truespace. It's not about preference, it's about fact in this case.

I didn't know you were programming and modeling. But yeah, Blender is a super sophisticated Swiss Army knife. It's the king of all swiss army knives. With blender for instance you could make your own animated normal maps for ocean waves and test them out inside of blender's game engine so that you won't have to do all that export/import just to see what it would sort of look like.

You can build large portions of your game inside of blender first (in a fraction of the time and complexity it currently takes in Leadwerks - sorry it's true) and then when you have your systems worked out you can migrate it all to Leadwerks after the fact. Thus eliminated unneccessary guesswork. Well that's my battle plan anyway. ANd I was only sharing it with you to try to be helpful.

that's just my suggestion to you. Do with it what you will. I will help you learn blender because I know you are a serious developer and a nice person who uses ellipses to full effect...

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

Guest Red Ocktober

@ 'cakes..

and a nice person who uses ellipses to full effect...

:):D LOL yeah... us ellisers gotta support each other...

thx for the headsup on 3D coat... will take a look at it...

@ josh...

no heightmap... just a normal map... the one below [edited]...

--Mike

post-65-1275437814149_thumb.png

Guest Red Ocktober

hhhmmmmm... yes it does... hhhmmmm.... :)

ok, i changed the file above... linked it to the dds original... i don't think the seam is there...

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

I see a seem going vertical and horizontal almost like someone used a poor tiling algorithem or procedure

look again 'cakes... i just changed the image (now a .png)...

sorry 'bout that, don't know what happened to the original... how that seam got in there...

--Mike