More thingoids!

Rick

Unity is a slut.

Can you be more specific?

[edited]The investors gave 5.5 million dollars because they believe Unity can return more money to them. That's called an investment. They didn't just give 5.5 million to Unity to be nice or to "save" it. Investors don't just hand that kind of money over unless they have a strong believe in the product. Leadwerks would be so lucky to get that kind of investment. Don't act like that's a bad thing. I'm sure Josh would love to get that kind of cash for Leadwerks.

As for language, I would prefer C++, but I don't mind any engine that uses an existing language. It's when an engine makes up it's own languages completely that I agree with you.

As for language, I would prefer C++, but I don't mind any engine that uses an existing language. It's when an engine makes up it's own languages completely that I agree with you.

A country loses it's independance when people would think like that. In fact, Finland lost it's independance when they changed their currency from FIM to EUR currency, since the money is the final indication of a country's independance. I mean come on, without principles and your choice of freedom, life is not worth anything. I wouldn't mind trying out C# if it wasn't invented by Microsoft, but as soon I hear the word Microsoft, it's like hearing all the bad things I could ever imagine. I even looked into the D language, but since it was also not GNU driven, it had no future.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Good thing we are humans and can differentiate between picking a programming language and running a country. :blink:

I use .NET at work. I use C++ when I use Leadwerks, and I use Unity's Javascript when working with Unity. These are all very similar and very useful language skills to have for making games and for the world of programming at businesses.

You should be thanking MS. Without MS and Windows computers would be years behind what they are today. Putting Windows into the home of people is what spawned a billion dollar industry of hardware and software. It skyrocketed the development of both which made a lot of competition which in turn made things better for everyone. Imagine if MS didn't exist and Apple took over. What a horrible computing world that would be. I guess all our necks would be warmer though. If it was left to Linux personal computing would be decades behind.

Without MS everyone would have a Unix workstation at home, which would be 20 years ahead of technology, since the PC started when Unix was already 20 years old. I don't thank MS for putting us back 20 years back in technology.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

When Unix started means very little. The advancement of Unix based systems in the household has limped forward at best. There is 0 reason to believe that if MS didn't exist it would have been any different. MS put a PC into the majority of developed countries homes. This provides business opportunity which creates companies, which creates competition, which advances computers faster and makes them better. Unix was/is just happy being behind the scenes. That advances things very slowly and honestly creates less opportunity for people. So you are anti-opportunity? :blink:

Still one of the biggest things I think that is needed is the ability for bodies made via Lua to be able to handle collisions. I use triggers all over the place in Unity. It's so very helpful and would be a very useful addition to LE's Lua implementation.

Still one of the biggest things I think that is needed is the ability for bodies made via Lua to be able to handle collisions. I use triggers all over the place in Unity. It's so very helpful and would be a very useful addition to LE's Lua implementation.

Should be done for me too.

Intel Corei7-6700, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980, 32GB DDR4, W-10.

I second that. The triggers I am using now are Distance checkers. Also because they are performed on the bounding boxes and not on the model or phy shape. you would have to resize the bounding box to have something like trigger zones.

If we could get the collisions to be triggered we can make a thingoid that has a body in it and we allow resizing via properties where we just destroy and recreate the body to handle that. We just need a way to be able for bodies create in Lua to trigger a collision event.

Solids are the way to handle triggers and volumes. They will be exposed soon.

These are better than physics-based triggers because they can be set to call an action either on a collision, or each frame, or when an entity leaves the volume.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I can remember a long time ago; back on the old website where I tried to convince Josh to take an approach that was a cross between blender game engine and CryEngine2. Looks like we are finally getting there with thingoids + Kismet/Flowgraph. While you guys are designing this stuff you might want to take a look at Blender Game Engine. It's quite smart the way they've done things. I'm thinking you could build some concepts from their implementation.

And before you scoff at the notion (not to be presumptuous our anything); keep in mind blender has SSAO, HDR, Bullet physics including softbodies, shadows, all kinds of post filters, scripting, trigger volumes, raycasting, etc etc etc, in fact the only thing they don't have is deferred rendering. In other words, it's quite a mature engine and I think you might want to study it for a bit.

I've said it before but the Blender opensource project in general is to 3dsMax as Leadwerks is to CryEngine2. It is really elite calibur software. And if you find it difficult to understand it's interface right away, I can help you to interpret it easier as I've been using it for years.

You guys are doing phenomenal work already and I only mention the idea of closely looking at blender because I think that it could be beneficial from a design standpoint. A lot of things you seem to want to do have already been addressed in Blender. Not that they couldn't be improved in some fundamental way but again looking at them might not hurt. If you haven't already that is.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3