More thingoids!

Rick

Here are a few more thingoids that I'm releasing so people can play around with them or get ideas from them. If you do please upload your version and share with others :)

Thingoids

My Youtube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/rpiller1#p/a/u/0/nmiazWNm67o

In the video I forgot to mention that the use switch inventory requirement property is a comma delimited field so you can require any number of inventory items to exist before it's activated.

To get this example to work unzip these 2 folders into the base directory of your LE installation. Then open up the Level01.sbx file and run. Let me know if that's not working.

Would love some feedback or tips or if anyone wants to check out some of the thingoids which aren't working 100% correctly.

Thanks and enjoy.

You need this as the main script

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1293842/Pi-Main.lua

Great system .. great demo Rick! Your vision of thingoids is really starting to take shape. You are rapidly becoming 'The People's Programmer' as far as a lot of Leadwerks users will be concerned. Can't wait to see where this goes next :)

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I really like Unreal's Kismet system, and I think we could work out something really powerful with that and your "thingoid" approach.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Oh plz yes I love it thank you!

Plz! :)

I have to say that pivot system by itself is brilliant.

As far as the objects being linked to the inventory, I think that if a system like this was officially adopted by LE then it might be helpful to have a filter or layer system for viewing all links. This is really good! It's great!

I'll be taking a very close look at actually using this as soon as I get my purchase through for 2.3 which will be this coming week.

This is really great for me I appreciate it a lot.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

This is really cool Rick. I love the idea of the thingoids for setting up your game surrounding and everyting. I have a great idea for this as well. I'm trying to work out a good way which I'll show you tomorrow. I don't know if I have the skill to make it, but if it works it is going to be quite awesome.

Thanks again for the thingoid, I'll have a look at them tomorrow. I think I can learn a lot from them.

that "sounds" amazing :huh: ,

er you'll have to release it first i think though

Good one ;). I think it will take quite some time to get this working. I am getting bettter with Lua but I'm still not sure how some of the stuff works. But with the help of the community it should be doable.

@Aggror, that's very cool. I assume you'll be using AABB for checking if player is in the sound zone?

Just a few things:

1. Maybe create the cube in the transparent world and apply a semi-transparent material to it for the sound zones? It might be a nice professional touch to be able to see somewhat through them.

2. There would be 2 ways to get thingiods to show up in in the properties drop down.

a. Populate inside that menu function. This would require that script to be resaved though.

b. Save off the grid variable from inside that menu function for use inside an object function. This is what I tried and it kind of worked but had strange bugs.

You could just use targets as well. That would put a limit of 8 total, but I can't see people wanting 8 different sounds to 1 sound zone.

I love this idea though. I'm getting some more ideas of my own now :huh:

bounding box: yes thats true. I didn't know that the EntityDistance command works with bounding boxes. I really hoped it would just check the the model itself. But perhaps I can also to it with the collision function. Have to try that out first.

1: semi transparacy would be cool. For now I'll just add a texture, perhaps later, you can adjust the transparancy your self.

2: this is going to be tough. :huh: I don't know how yet but I think I have to study your thingoids a bit more to see some script parts I can salvage and adapt to the thing I need.

Targets would make this a little bit easy, but then the voice in my head is going to say: Okay it works, but you have a limit of 8. Just something to think about. The voice says this in a iritating and agonyzing way. What I mean to say is that the idea of having a limit will haunt me till I find something else.

For now I´m trying to focus at one thing at the time.

I just made my paypal payment. So hopefully i'll receive a dl link within 24 hours. I have a little bit of javascript and python experience. I'll see whether I am able to contribute some thingoids of my own after studying yours of course. This could be a great way for me to learn about Lua.

• 1 month later...

Not a lot of posts here in a while. Out if curiosity have you guys made progress? I would like to get a head start into working with these.

52t__nvidia.png nVidia 530M cpu.gif Intel Core i7 - 2.3Ghz 114229_30245_16_hardware_memory_ram_icon.png 8GB DDR3 RAM Windows7_Start.gif Windows 7 Ultimate (64x)

-----

IconVisualStudio16.png Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate google-Chrome.png Google Chrome PhotoshopLinkIndicator.png Creative Suite 5 icon28.gif FL Studio 10 MicrosoftOfficeLive.png Office 15

-----

csharp.png Expert cpp.png Professional lua_icon.png Expert BMX Programmer

-----

i-windows-live-messenger-2009.pngskype-icon16.pngaim_online.pnggmail.pngicon_48x48_prism-facebook.pngtunein-web.pngyahoo.giftwitter16.png

LOL, good luck with staying motivated without C/C++ (I know you love C++ from your soul) :blink:

How far can people really go, how much are they really ready sacrifice?

Any project which doesn't run on C/C++ would be worse than hell or death for me.

And long before that, there is the thing called principle (equal to moral and ethnicity), which is the strongest factor in my life.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I tried to push LE but the multiple platforms of Unity was just to hard to fight against those guys.

One of the biggest things I enjoy about Unity is that I can drop many different model formats into a project and it just takes it in. Same for textures. It's a pleasure to not have to convert all these assets.

That's kinda bad, since it's not the job of a game engine. I would give negative points to any engine which doesn't focus on one optimized model format. But people have said that Unity was bloated, and that is probably one reason for it.

One of the biggest things I enjoy about Unity is that I can drop many different model formats into a project and it just takes it in.

Unity is a slut.

Unity is a slut.

Yeah, I think now we are talking about the facts. Indeed Unity was paid $5.5 million dollar by Atari, just to keep it alive ( http://www.develop-online.net/news/33121/Ataris-Gardner-named-in-55m-Unity-fund ). Leadwerks stays alive ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHWeuQyFouo&fmt=18 ) without any external help, and it grows on daily basis! :blink:

Game Engine business is hard, but not so hard after all since there are basically not so many good engines out there. Leadwerks is the only high-end engine which supports OpenGL, and even CryENGINE 3 loses the battle against that, since it's DirectX only. Unity can't even do deferred rendering, so it's kinda like a first generation 3D engine, and even if it could do that (like they prohecied in version 3), it would still lack the industrial standard C++ programming interface, which's lack makes any engine a waste of time and money. Not even to mention Lua(JIT) which adds another bunch of time and money saver to the game development.