..for those who thinks that LE shouldnt run on MAC, part 2

Naughty Alien

Steam and Valve's library of games including Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal, and the Half-Life series will be available in April.

And just shy under what, 5+ years later on some of those games? And it took the Mac to get on Intel I think also to make things like this easier. Honestly I don't think anyone thinks it "shouldn't" run on Macs, I think it's more of a what's the point? The market share is small. LE would be better off working on consoles before Macs.

If we allow fanboys then we should allow haters to balance it out right? Life is about balance. :mellow:

Also am I missing something about your sig? You are a big Mac fan but your sig doesn't say anything about a mac computer. What's up with that?

Also am I missing something about your sig? You are a big Mac fan but your sig doesn't say anything about a mac computer. What's up with that?

..naahh..my sig is related only to what I use currently with LE .. however, i do use MAC's and have few of them..but its not like funboy thingy..i really do believe that MAC market shouldnt be ignored, especially because more and more of those machines are capable to run LE just fine..now..reason that Valve start doing such things is not a coincidence(remember, those folks thinks money), so Im quite sure, in some near future, way more games trough steam, going to appear on to MAC world...im quite sure its worth to go there, but again, its up to Josh anyway :mellow:

Guest Red Ocktober
And just shy under what, 5+ years later on some of those games? And it took the Mac to get on Intel I think also to make things like this easier. Honestly I don't think anyone thinks it "shouldn't" run on Macs, I think it's more of a what's the point?

well... i just came back from december 2011... and there were more than a million mac users playing their happy lil hearts out on steam... oblivious to the fact that the end is approaching :mellow:

also...

5 years is nothing... how long has LW been under development... if we can just get past 2012, then all is good for everybody :):D:D

--Mike

As an indie developer I wouldn't think about things like market shares and money, but rather focus on doing something unique and innovative, because that's what only indies can do. It's the big game companies who don't have time for quality, innovation and ideas, because they need to make money for their shareholders.

I think an AAA game for Linux or NetBSD would be more unique than a game on mac, although it would run on a mac also, if it runs on those first two.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I would say a bigger focus on consoles rather than mac would make a lot more sense right now. Also, aren't most Macs underpowered? Only the really high-end macs are capable of LE quality graphics. The apple market is small enough, do we really want to target an even smaller subgroup of mac users who have capable machines? It just doesn't make business sense.

Also, Valve can afford to take on Macs because they're already in the console market. It's not like apple users present a huge untaped market for Valve, Valve is just looking to maximize sales any way they can -- even if it means spending a little more time porting over software to get additional sales.

The problem with making console games is that it's almost impossible for indie developers to get the permission from sony or microsoft to publish your game.

Even this microsoft casual game request form doesn't sound like they accept all kind of indie games:

http://zone.msn.com/en/microsoftcasualgames/submit.htm

However then there is also xbox LIVE indie games, which seems to have all kinds of indie games also:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/catalog.aspx?d=7

And it seems you can make good money with $1 games too:

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/i-maed-a-gam3-w1th-z0mb1es1/1063716p1.html

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

..while Xbox360 development sounds enthusiastic and 'easy', i assure you, that you will pass trough hell with M$ developer scheme and procedures to get license (if you get it as a small indie)..then coming payment for debug console and SDK what cost you approx 10 000 US$..and most important..to get started you will be able to have XNA framework(keep in mind XNA is not a game engine) and nothing else (unless you going to code from ground up your own engine with SDK)..now..if you look at PS3 dev license, whole thing to access is much more simple than Xbox dev, and its 5 times cheaper (debug console + SDK) and on the top you will get source code of Phyre rendering engine, used in many AAA titles, with ready to use plugs(physics) such as Havok, PhysX or if you wanna be totally free from licensing issues with previous two, Bullet, while any aplication done with Phyre is totally free for you, including creation of game Creation tools..only thing you cant do is, resel it as a your own engine ..then bunch of various games with source code + media provided in SDK done with Phyre make it realy nice. Top it with actual ability to do compilation on PC/PS3 out of box and ability to easy port to MAC and yes, even Xbox 360(tuts coming soon), making it a nice dev suite .. so.. choice is yours..

..while Xbox360 development sounds enthusiastic and 'easy', i assure you, that you will pass trough hell with M$ developer scheme and procedures to get license (if you get it as a small indie)..then coming payment for debug console and SDK what cost you approx 10 000 US$..and most important..to get started you will be able to have XNA framework(keep in mind XNA is not a game engine) and nothing else (unless you going to code from ground up your own engine with SDK)

That's not really accurate. If you go the XNA route it doesn't cost you $10k. The XNA route is the indie route. If you try to go the professional route and use DX then it would be $10k. The XNA route was created for indie programmers.

Guest Red Ocktober

yeah... me thinks it only costs around $99 a year to join the club and be able to sell stuff to other club members...

me thinks...

i did a lil xna stuff about a year ago... worked out well... i'm just so lazy when it comes to dx coding... i'd do anything to avoid it... and i have :D

but when i read stories of the guys selling a top down shooter (essentially asteroids with a lil ai) for a dollar, and getting 160,000 licenses sold... weeeellll, that sorta makes me wanna dust off some of that old code, and brush up on my c++ skillz...

but, getting back to mac support for le... the maxc market is pretty substantial... nothing near the numbers you'll see in the windows dimension, but enough so that 100,000 potential sales of a native osx game is totally a realistic expectation...

and with so many major players in the xbox arena (along with the rest of the kiddies... err, i mean indies B) ), and not so many heavyweights in the mac market...

as i see it... filling the vacuum would be a logical strategic move (like that wall street business babble??? :D:D )...

anyways... i'm all for a mac LW option... the sooner the better... and while he's at it, have josh make it iPad ready as well :blink::unsure::blink:

--Mike

--Mike

and with so many major players in the xbox arena (along with the rest of the kiddies... err, i mean indies :blink: ), and not so many heavyweights in the mac market...

as i see it... filling the vacuum would be a logical strategic move (like that wall street business babble??? :unsure::blink: )...

This is actually one of the better arguments for supporting Mac & Linux. Those 2 groups are starving so much games that they are probably willing to give native games a chance, even if they aren't the best. Although the Linux people would probably want it for free B)