I have an idea for an operating system

niv3k

An OS is just an application like any other. Some games have even an OS built-in.

"In computing, an operating system (OS) is an interface between hardware and user, which is responsible for the management and coordination of activities and the sharing of the resources of a computer, that acts as a host for computing applications run on the machine."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

I've actually started years ago to make such an 3D OS which runs under Windows (doesn't need explorer.exe though). But for the final version I would need it to run under Linux and Mac also, so it would bring the same GUI for all 3 OS.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

An OS is just an application like any other. Some games have even an OS built-in.

"In computing, an operating system (OS) is an interface between hardware and user, which is responsible for the management and coordination of activities and the sharing of the resources of a computer, that acts as a host for computing applications run on the machine."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

I've actually started years ago to make such an 3D OS which runs under Windows (doesn't need explorer.exe though). But for the final version I would need it to run under Linux and Mac also, so it would bring the same GUI for all 3 OS.

so i can or not? i was going to make a 3D OS too! thats why i asked if i could use LE to render and stuff.

you not making a OS

as you both talking about the front end which could be yes but i would not try

i would make my own api from opengl to what you want,

think LE would have to much overhead for what you want as it design for games, not file handling that you will want

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

The dynamic shadow system would be the main reason to use LE for a 3D OS, but it really needs to be made in C++ first.

Of course the realtime Lua would work nicely as a OS scripting language too.

That's not an OS then. An OS doesn't run on another OS. Didn't we go through this already? If an OS requires another OS to run, then it's not a true OS. An here comes the Chrome argument. Say what you want but if we go down this road the word OS starts meaning nothing.

OpenGL won't run without an operating system. C++ code won't execute without an operating system. An operating system is the thing that sends ones and zeros to your hard drive, CPU, RAM, and other components.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Well you could start with the Linux Kernel, it just takes less than 1MB on disk. Then you need to add some X-Windows core, where you can load your nVidia drivers. Now you're basically ready to write your own OS on top of those, with GNU C++ and LE it can be done.

Well you could start with the Linux Kernel, it just takes less than 1MB on disk. Then you need to add some X-Windows core, where you can load your nVidia drivers. Now you're basically ready to write your own OS on top of those, with GNU C++ and LE it can be done.

thanks Lumooja :)

This thread brings to mind a quote of Carl Sagan's: In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe :)

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

What Lum is saying is sort of like:

I want to make a game, so I'll buy HL and make a few changes to the code and call it a game. We give that a different name. We call it a mod at that point because you modified the HL game. So when he suggests to use Linux for what basically could be classified as the heart of the OS, then I wouldn't classify it as your own OS. It would be a variation of the Linux OS.

Exactly ... but I suspect this is what the original poster is probably meaning. He's talking about a graphical shell sitting over an existing Operating System rather than creating a brand new OS which, as we all know, he is just not going to do!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

..im very convinced that after beautiful enthusiasm whats leading you to think about building an OS, you will stop thinking about making one (OS) soon as you start dealing with hardware interfacing/drivers..C++ will not be enough however..loads of assembly should be engaged for such thing..

I think any programmer at one point wanted to build their own OS. Without knowing about how it works and what goes into it, you might think you are good at programming so why not right? Then you start reading up about it and it's like a punch in the face. :)

It's like the difference between being a good airplane passenger and an astronaut.

Guest Red Ocktober

like a few people have already said or alluded to... what the original poster was probably talking about was making a gui to sit on top of the OS... i like the idea... an intuitive 3D gui...

gonna take an awful lot of thought... and an awful lot of coding... but hey, go for it... and good luck...

--Mike

Yeah but when you start to make your own kernel, you'll end up sooner or later with the exactly same code as the linux kernel, since it's optimal. Unless you make some mistakes and don't come to the optimal solution.

Yeah but when you start to make your own kernel, you'll end up sooner or later with the exactly same code as the linux kernel, since it's optimal. Unless you make some mistakes and don't come to the optimal solution.

Because there is no other way of thinking than the Linux way of thinking? You assume that the kernel would be identical working for any OS OR you assume Linux has the end all be all kernel in existence and there could be no possible other way than to do something different than the way Linux does it as far as the kernel is concerned. That's just not true. You of all people, someone who thinks outside the box, should know that at any point in time someone can come along and change how people think in terms of anything on this planet. Including an OS kernel.

not so true a lot of inbeded OS are not linux or even linux based in the past worked on a small OS for a diagnostic software.

no linux was used and the reason was linux is to big and slow for us at the time.

am not going to get into a fight

I love linux and have used linux now for 15 year

but i wish you stop saying it going to take over, as it what i've been hearing for the last 15 year and it not.

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMMING

AMD Ryzen 7 1700x

32 gb ddr4

15 TB raid 5 HD

Nvidia EVGA 1060GTX

Win10 64bit

eh microsoft already beat me to the idea.

but instead they did the usual, and bought the thing from a university...which leads to, does microsoft make anything anymore?

here's the nice $10,000 computer..