Are we able to give our own collision mesh?

Rick

I know we have new ways of generating collision from the models, but are we able to supply our own collision mesh from a model like we used to be? This is really still needed as often you don't want the collision to match the visual model itself. Enabling legacy really isn't an option if that's the only option right now. The functionality to supply a physics file that was a mdl was already there.

Please just add another item in the Physics menu that says Custom Physics and have it ask for the phy file to assign. Easy as pie and gives us more flexibility that we already used to have.

• Upvote 2

One easy way to do this is generate a polymesh shape from your collision model, then just copy that one to the same name as the visual model. The engine will automatically load any PHY file with the same name as the model, when a model is loaded.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Not ideal, but it's something. Ideally a menu item is added for this and that is done by the editor for us. We select Custom Phys from the menu, we supply a mdl file, it automatically makes a phy file from that mdl file and gives the phy file the same name as the model opened in the model editor.

hah. you must have silently added that. ph34r.png

(btw. there is only the "collisionhull" convention, nothing about "CollisionMesh" [is the upper/lower case unimportant?] )

no just kidding. Sorry that i didn´t knew about that. turns out i must have skipped the game art stuff since my art ends up unrecognizable anyway. wink.png

I think this shows how few people are actually reading the documentation. There are 2 kinds of people in this world. Those who read the directions and those who don't. Should those who don't be chastised or should they be presented the documentation in a different way. A way that seems like they aren't really even reading the directions, but they really are. Clearly I'm bias in thinking like this because I'm not a directions reader lol

I am actually someone who reads instruction papers that come with for example a wardrobe to build. And I am constantly reading through the commands list of Leadwerks.

Maybe having the collision mesh part not with all the other game art stuff on a single long page but instead having it displayed tree-like just like the commands would help. But I am not sure.

On further thinking about using the CollisionHull method I realised it wont work for our example. When you enter a building I need to be able to have control over the various floors collision type as the player traverses a building, so it needs to be an entity.

Currently I'm exporting a collision mesh->generate shape on it and overwriting the existing models .phy shape. When I do this the "Show Physics" of the mesh does not update in the model editor or the map, which can be problematic. The shape is also wiped if I re-save the original model so I could accidentally revert to the original collision mesh without realising very easily.

I wouldn't say its a pain in the *** to do, but it's hacky and prone to error.

I'm still gunning for a "Custom Collision" option back in.

• Upvote 1
trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0