SUPER DUMB QUESTION - please don't kick me out.

wndrboy2k3

Okay, I am so embarrassed to have to do this. I mostly do 3d art and can program VB.net and asp.net apps. So I thought I would give making a game a try. I have gone through most of the tutorials successfully but there is one VERY simple thing I am not grasping. What is the freaking pipeline for the Leadwerks Editor? You use it to build the level and then you go back to Visual Studios using the code to load the level? I am SO sorry, I feel so stupid.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over 50, and if its SPEED changed, it would explode! I think it was called..... 'The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down!'

well, thats a dumb question.... GOOD BYE!...

ok seriously, yes for the most part, since you own 2.3 and the scripting will take effect when you load the level via the code.

o, yeah, if you haven't went through the wiki thoroughly, I would recommend that

AMD Phenom II x6 1100T - 16GB RAM - ATI 5870 HD - OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD

76561197984667096.png

Wow, that was a super duper dumb question :D

Just kidding. That's not a dumb question at all. What you are thinking is correct if you aren't using all lua. If you are using BMax, C++, or .NET then you would create your map in the editor and then load it in your language of choice. You would put things in your map that let your code know if it needs to do anything. Like a player start point or something.

well, thats a dumb question.... GOOD BYE!...

ok seriously, yes for the most part, since you own 2.3 and the scripting will take effect when you load the level via the code.

o, yeah, if you haven't went through the wiki thoroughly, I would recommend that

i have gone through most of it and done a lot of stuff on my own. But I just didn't make the link as to why there would be two completely different set of coding tools (in editor and VB) but I guess it makes sense. I will get there soon.

P.S when i opened the reply to this thread all I saw was your first line. I was so shocked. :D

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over 50, and if its SPEED changed, it would explode! I think it was called..... 'The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down!'

Ok, this will be a bit rough, but should you get started.

(Note that i do use lua explicitly for setting entity properties

and not for actual scripting).

Pipeline (programmers point of view :D)

-------------------------------------------

1) Make a model, export to the right format, ect.

2) Make a lua script for that model

(does not need to do anything in your game. I use the scripts just

for adjusting the properties dialog.)

3) Create a scene in the editor and place some models there.

4) Open the properties dialog for each model and adjust the properties

as you wish. (add own properties via the lua script)

5) Save that scene as sbx file

6) Open the file in any text editor and take a look at it. You'll see

every model you placed in the editor and the according values. So you

can also make a scene in notepad. :P

All properties your model has are written like: "entitykey"="somestring"

These are extremely important, as they are loaded along with the model.

7) In your program you can call LoadScene("abstract::MyScene.sbx") and this

will load all the graphics + the keys specified for each model.

You can easily retrieve the entity/model keys using the GetEntityKey() function.

At this point it is even possible to create an instance of a class and glue

that class instance to the entity and set up some predefined callbacks that

call methods of that class...that is really nice to have ;)

Hope that helps.

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

You know, this community gets a lot of flack on Devmaster's revieew for not being supportive or kind and that was the one thing that I was apprehensive about before purchasing. But how wrong they were. I've never had so many quick, friendly, and HELPFUL advice anywhere else, and I get around... trust me.

:D

A lot of people say a lot of things, I've learnt to disbelieve most and discover for myself. Welcome aboad, you will find the community very supportive if you are prepared to learn :D Have fun!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Your first post described the workflow perfectly. The only exception is that class scripts work both in the editor, and in your own game, no matter what language you program with. ;)

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.