Haven't bought yet, but some questions.

MaybeMe

Hey guys!

I have been eyeing LGE for about a year now, just haven't had the funds to purchase it, but now with the Steam Auction, there's a good chance I'll have a copy(thanks for donating all of them btw!).

I had a couple questions pertaining to the game engine.

1) Can you smooth everything and make everything look better, over time?

I've seen videos and such, I like the graphics and animations, but they could be a bit smoother imo, so it'd be very nice to optimize them and make them look better.

2) Can you implement different survival based systems, such as degrading food, water, temperature, and other things that are affected by the environment?

That's all I got for now, I'll most likely post more as I wonder more about what I want to do.

I plan on making a survival game for myself, like The Long Dark, but the way I want it to be. Maybe I'll end up posting it somewhere or something, but atm it's just for me to play with and enjoy.

Thanks for the help!

Brian

Hi MaybeMe! Welcome to the community!

1. I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. Do you mean like motion blur, higher fps, etc.? Motion blur is possible with shaders, but no one has gotten around to making one yet. FPS is highly dependent on the game you make, so that's sort of your responsibility. Note that often game videos appear choppier than the actual gameplay due to lower framerates while recording and/or the capturing program slowing the computer down.

2. Definitely! But it will take some Lua programming. This game sort of covers some of what you're talking about and can show some of the things that are possible:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/games/_/hunt-for-food-r41

Really, the biggest limit is you're creativity and coding abilities though, in terms of how advanced you want your game to be.

• Upvote 1

Like with animations? You can always import your own models and animations and such. I made a tutorial a while ago that demonstrated how to import motion-captured animations, which are about as good as you can get with animation.

There is animation blending built in to the engine to transition smoothly between animations as well.

I would play with the prefabs first and then replace them with other models. Also, the Steam Workshop is a new feature this year, and there are some pretty good items in there.

There are also a ton of modelling software applications available, a lot of them are free as well.

Free:

• Blender: steep learning curve, very powerful
  • Anim8or: yes, I use this one haha, easier to learn, more of a CAD feel to it, doesn't support exporting animations well though
  • Wings3D: like Anim8or, doesn't support animations at all, but good UV mapping (for texturing) capabilities
  • Sculptris: very easy to use and produce great results, doesn't do animations, and polycounts tend to be horrendous
  • CharacterFX: free 3D animator, so it works well with the other applications that don't support animation well

Paid:

• 3ds Max/Maya: pretty much the industry standard, most powerful of them all, but very expensive
  • Silo3D: this one was on the workshop and at least the first version is is pretty easy to use, but is more of a modeller, and the price isn't too bad
  • Fragmotion: decent all-in-one application
  • UVMapper Pro: great file format converter and UV mapper, helps with cleaning up models

I've used a ton of programs before, but I would recommend using CharacterFX, Anim8or (or Wings3D), and Blender for everything. If you choose to purchase a program, I would definitely recommend UVMapper Pro, since that program is very handy.

For free resources outside of the Workshop:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/8507-free-resources/page__hl__gpl

Alright, so I installed the Demo version today and attempted to boot it up. After a couple minutes saying it was loading a sample, an error occurred and said my graphics driver was not compatible and I should update the drivers or see if its compatible.

I have an Intel i3-2328M with integrated graphics seeing as my laptop doesn't have a graphics card of it's own.

How can I make it work?

Is there a way to upgrade to HD graphics 4000 or such? There are plenty of download links, just don't know if it'll cause an error and completely not work.

And will OpenGL 4.0 not install or run properly if I did install it?

Edit: Will a new i5 solve this problem?

Is there a way to upgrade to HD graphics 4000 or such? There are plenty of download links, just don't know if it'll cause an error and completely not work.

If your computer is a laptop you can't change the graphics card of it's a specific one.

And you must use driver designed to work with your graphic GPU only.

And will OpenGL 4.0 not install or run properly if I did install it?

This has nothing to do with OpenGL4 software, it's your graphic GPU that must support OpenGL4.0 minimum.

Intel HD3000 is only supports OpenGL 3.0 and older ones, not above versions like 4.0.

Edit: Will a new i5 solve this problem?

It is for a laptop ? What is the graphic GPU of your i5 ?

Stop toying and make games