is this a shadow normal behavior?

Charrua

i'm just rotating a box, is the start map with the rotator script from tutorials

i try to modify Appeareance->Cast Shadows->Static/Dynamic, no difference

i see that the material has no Shadow shadder applied, does it should be applied

here the shadows, which seems to be created by the faces seen of the cube, when it started to ratate.

i'm shure that i'm missing something.

also, i noted that, no material seems to be applied to objects. if i apply one, the text box tells the material name, but i y quit and restart the editor, again the material textbox is empty. but the object has the correct material.

cube1.pngcube2.png

cube3.png

Paren el mundo!, me quiero bajar.

i see that the material has no Shadow shadder applied, does it should be applied

Should be better and more clear for your project.

if i apply one, the text box tells the material name, but i y quit and restart the editor, again the material textbox is empty

Did you save map file before quit and restart ? seems some bug perhaps.

For shadows verify quality, shader choosen, and verify material visibility options like displaying backfaces "on", i can't detail as i can't launch LE3 for now.

Stop toying and make games

Did you save map file before quit and restart ?

yes, after saving, no material appear to be applied. material control is empty

(also, there are no chances of de-attach a shader)

With a point light seems to work ok, shadows appear as supposed to be

may it be a directional light bug?

This is going to be an odd explanation, but this is actually the correct behavior:

Brushes that have a script attached to them remain as brushes and don't get collapsed into model geometry. Brushes are not just simple polygons, they have volumetric properties that we intend to use in the future. However, simply rotating a brush does not update its geometric information, so the plane equations that define the faces don't get updated, and the shadow render pass misses some faces. This is actually the reason that tutorial uses a model instead. The brush class itself is not part of the official API because of complexities like this. A case can be made for documenting and exposing some of the brush API, but this technically is not a bug.

• Upvote 1

thank's, understood.

then, the Dynamic drop down box is for?, shouldn't it be omitted if the entity is a brush instead of a model?

or the Shadows Dynamic has another purpose.

naturally, a question needs an explanation but, if there is a solution is better:

must i create a Shape and attach it to it?

must i create a prefab?

or the only solution is to use a 3d modeler, create a box, export as mdl and then import on the editor?

thank's in advance

• 2 months later...