iPad

Guest Red Ocktober

Guest Red Ocktober

i'm watching the live Apple release ceremony for Jobs's new tablet computer... so far it looks like a bigger iPod Touch/iPhone combo with enhanced apps...

interesting is that the sdk will be available 2day... similar or same as iPhone sdk... and the thing runs openGL... just like LW... :D;) hint... hint...

--Mike

I am actually sort of interested in this. Not sure why, but it seems like a fun gadget. Don't you have to vote Democrat to buy an Apple product, though?

In the future, the only place for us to expand to will be low-performance devices like this. We're getting to where the engine's strength is becoming the art pipeline and scripting, not just graphics. So in the future I could see a low-res renderer being added to work with things like the Apple Tablet.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

No, you're not allowed to put any scripting language on the iPhone. It's how they keep people from running homebrew scripted stuff and force them through the appstore. Unity gets around it by precompiling all the mono stuff so they don't have to put the JIT on there.

Windows 7 x64 - Q6700 @ 2.66GHz - 4GB RAM - 8800 GTX

ZBrush - Blender

Guest Red Ocktober

nice pricing for service just announced... $14.99 for up to 250MB per month... cheaper than current iPhone terms... and no contract...

$29.95 for unlimited...

hhmmmm....

here comes the initial cost to buy one...

starts at $499... wowza...

--Mike

Video and more info here, for those interested: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipad-first-hands-on/

I'll come out right now and say that I'm an Apple hater - Their products are often little more than overly expensive fashion statements. I did, however, applaud some of the innovation the iPhone bought to the table. On the flipside, this iPad looks pretty damn useless to me. It wants to be a netbook killer but has no flash, no camera, no wifi, is stupendiously expensive, and having watched the video looks like little more than a toy you'd use occassionally. If you already have an iPhone i'd stick to that. The iPad brings little more to the table other than a hole in your wallet.

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

Guest Red Ocktober

i agree pretty much D... but there were two things that got my attention...

1- the low price of the service $15 a month for wifi... $30 per month for unlimited wifi... that's pretty damn cheap...

2- the keyboard dock... recharge while typing... then take the thing with you when you leave the desk...

i was planning on buying a new mac mini... but now if anything, it'll be this gadget...

--Mike

1- the low price of the service $15 a month for wifi... $30 per month for unlimited wifi... that's pretty damn cheap...

2- the keyboard dock... recharge while typing... then take the thing with you when you leave the desk...

i was planning on buying a new mac mini... but now if anything, it'll be this gadget...

--Mike

1. I can't comment on that other than that feature isn't worth squat outside of the US. But no wifi A/B/G/N is a complete joke. You have to use the GSM internet when your at home!

2. Typing what, exactly? This is my point - The thing is useless. If you're seriously thinking about using this thing to type away emails or perform work then you might want to move on. You can obviously only use the typing features with any speed while at a desk. Forget trying to type an email on the move. Which makes you wonder that if you're at a desk that often, then you'll want to do your eyes a favour and get something with a decent screen size and resolution. The thing has no multitasking functionality either, so forget trying to do any work with it.

P.S. Mac Mini? Seriously? To do what exactly? You realise they cost more than anything else on the market and do less?

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

--Mike

Just another monthly fee to drain your wallet. The entire world is a monthly fee.

I think the appeal is you can sit in a coffee shop and watch a movie, write email, or listen to music, and it's much less bulky than a laptop.

True enough. Too bad you're locked into Apples jaded view on the world with their file formats. All 500GB of my digital movie library wouldn't work. Plus, why get this when you can go buy a netbook for less that has twicethrice the feature set? All you loose is the touch functionality.

Don't get me wrong though, the idea is good. I just don't think Apple can pull it off - If you want a versitile tablet/PC you need a Windows/Linux based machine to get the full functionality. All Apple brings to the table is tasty UIs and wallet holes.

Programmer, Modeller

The down side is it requires you to wear a turtle neck and drive a hybrid.

:unsure:

How is this different than a tablet PC?

The OS/interface looks nicer and it's touch-screen. The book page-turning looks really fun.

You'd have to pay for every single song and movie, though, wouldn't you? Or would you be able to copy your DVDs and CDs to Apple's file formats?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

:lol:

The OS/interface looks nicer and it's touch-screen. The book page-turning looks really fun.

You'd have to pay for every single song and movie, though, wouldn't you? Or would you be able to copy your DVDs and CDs to Apple's file formats?

No chance Josh. Its Apple's way or the highway. If its not on your account on iTunes then it aint gonna work.

Programmer, Modeller

I'll wait for the MS version where it runs an OS to let me do whatever I want to do.

Aye. MS have already prototyped my dream Tablet PC. Go google the Courier. Its pure awesome running on Windows 7. Who knows if it'll ever see the light of day though. Makes me sad.

Programmer, Modeller

Guest Red Ocktober
It's not just a movie. It's an experience!

hahahaha... lol :lol:;):lol:

2. Typing what, exactly? This is my point - The thing is useless. If you're seriously thinking about using this thing to type away emails or perform work then you might want to move on. You can obviously only use the typing features with any speed while at a desk. Forget trying to type an email on the move. Which makes you wonder that if you're at a desk that often, then you'll want to do your eyes a favour and get something with a decent screen size and resolution. The thing has no multitasking functionality either, so forget trying to do any work with it.

i don't use computers to do much typing, emailing, etc... my primary goal here would be to use this to develop software (games, simulations, etc) for all the people who are going to be seduced into buying it...

P.S. Mac Mini? Seriously? To do what exactly? You realise they cost more than anything else on the market and do less?

again... to develop mac versions of game software, that's what... without opting for a bigger and pricier mac box... i've already got 2 minis doing different things (server, broadband services manager)... and was about to get another...

you fail to see that the initial purchase price of hardware is only a part of the total equation when viewed in the totality of the use that the hardware software will be applied to... being able to put up a small, discrete, and reliable piece of hardware that requires absolutely no maintenance or troubeshooting, and have it work within the confines of the parameters it was bought to work within, and do its job without a hitch has value... tell me which pc you own that you can stack one on top of another on the corner of a desk and run as a server rack...

as for the eyestrain... the effective resolution of the tablet probably exceeds that of your 1080 p monitor/tv... when considering how far you have to sit away from your giant screen lcd energy whore to avoid burning out your retinas... also, which laptop or whatever today's term is for a portable pc has a screen with a signifcantly higher resolution that will do good things for my eyesight...

besides... i'm already blind as a bat... do ya...you really think that another light emitting device is gonna hurt me that much more... or help me if it were a few pixels wider...

finally, i see this as the cheapest mobile device i can purchase... bar none... a computer, a phone, a gps, a library of books, a... well, you get the idea... bar none...

show me any pc that is as small, as light, and has the same battery usage (10 hours is probably highly optimistic though) for $499 (+ the cost of the g3/g4 hardware), and can do the same, and i'll consider that as well...

... but i don't think ya can.

well... the thing is still in the vapours as far as i'm concerned... and it won't be reality for me for at least another 60 or so days... so all this discussion is nothing more than mere speculation based on the well scripted jobs media event.

--Mike

You make some good points, and you also make some really bad ones. And I'm not even going to approach why in gods name you're using Macs as servers. But ask yourself this - What are you going to do on it? It can't be a phone or GPS. It could be a great eBook reader, except it can't read PDFs or any other kind other than Apple's standard, so we can cross that off the list. What else? Business? Yeah, right. Use a projector and an office if you want to present some slides. and you're certainly not going to draw up some excel spreadsheets on it. Game development? The iPad will be part of the iPhone game network. If you think you seriously have a strong business case to get into that crazy market (Have you actually done research on it? I have) then you should know you don't actually need the iPad - Its all there in the SDK already, you should be ready to go.

Well, theres not much left for it is there. We've got internet browsing and the iTunes store. Ok, so its an over-sized iPhone. I'd stick to that, at least you can do functional things on that device.

Programmer, Modeller

Guest Red Ocktober
Game development? The iPad will be part of the iPhone game network.

no kiddin'....

If you think you seriously have a strong business case to get into that crazy market (Have you actually done research on it? I have)

of course i haven't... i'm just bouncin' around here... catchin some rays... new to the software market... never sold any software before in my life... this is all new to me...

and of course, the current pc game market is sooooo much less crazy...

then you should know you don't actually need the iPad - Its all there in the SDK already, you should be ready to go.

so, in other words, you're saying that i should just deploy a piece of software, and never test it on the hardware it is targeted to run on...

It can't be a phone or GPS.

you sure about that D... you tellin me that there's 3G connectivity is in there, but you can't use this thing as a phone...

Well, theres not much left for it is there. We've got internet browsing and the iTunes store. Ok, so its an over-sized iPhone. I'd stick to that, at least you can do functional things on that device.

me thinks you're missing the point D... ya know, that big picture everyone keeps talking about... there's a point hidden in plain sight there... apple's point... and mine...

will all the companies that've sold 8.1 million iphones in just the first quarter of 2010 please raise their hands...

duhhh... hulllooooo.... :lol:

you really think they won't sell half as many iPads when they're released... that's gonna be a lot of hungry lil hands looking to tilt and finger pop an iPad version of my Tetris knockoff... or whatever other stoopid timewaster i can get into the iStore...

another point you fail to see... this thing aint a computer... it's more of a convergence device... apple's been pretty smart placing its bets so far... but you want me to disregard their 'opinion', and follow yours...

hahahaha... is it the least bit obvious why i might be inclined not to...

but anyways, thanks for the counterpoint...

the only thing i'm curious about is why there's no camera in the thing...

--Mike