Objects exported from MAX are imported with a 90 degree tilt

Josh is already aware of this and has been provided test art, but I thought I'd post here as a reminder as well as a head's up...

When exporting an object from MAX in .fbx format (I'm using MAX 2010 with the most up-to-date version of the FBX plugin), on importing the object into the editor the object, while visually having the proper orientation, will show a 90 degree tilt along the x-axis.

This happens regardless of the convert up axis setting in MAX's FBX exporter.

The problem here becomes apparent when you grab the global rotation from, say, a pivot and then apply it to an imported object from MAX--it will be visually oriented incorrectly.

From an art standpoint, the quick "fix" for this is:

--use MAX's "Affect pivot only" mode and, using transform type-in, enter a +90 degree x-axis rotation.

--Export the object

--undo the pivot rotation you just did (if you want to keep things "proper" within the MAX file)

Edit: I ALWAYS reset the xforms on an object before I export it. I don't know if the above method will work properly if you don't...

Now, when you open the editor and the object is converted to .mdl format, it will still be oriented properly but it will no longer show a 90 degree tilt along the x-axis. This will allow MAX-created objects to translate as you'd expect with engine-created pivots and geometry.

--"There is no spoon"

Didn't unerstood all i think, but you mean X axis to become Z axis in LE3 so ? Must be some 3DS MAX option perhaps in FBX export ?

With Blender i got no axes problem after LE3 import of FBX.

Perhaps to try : Blender 2.69 can import FBX , than export FBX with several option choices

Stop toying and make games

No, if you convert from fbx to mdl you'll see a global rotation of 89.98022, 0.0, 0.0 instead of 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 as you'd expect. There is no option in MAX fbx to do anything like this, other than to convert the up axis from Z to Y (MAX uses a Z up axis).

The only thing I could imagine causing this is not resetting the XForm in MAX before export, but I did so it can't be that. I'd be willing to bet this is an issue in MAX's fbx exporter itself, especially if files from, say, Blender are fine...

--"There is no spoon"

There might be an option in the settings on 3ds max, I don't know where as I dont use it. I know when you export from 3dCoat, one of the first options is 'swap y for z', which essentially makes whatever you modeled look like it was lying down.

Yeah, MAX has the option to convert which axis is up, Y or Z, but neither setting alters the above outcome (unless the setting is bugged and is never actually swapping the axis). Again, if I had to guess, I'd say it's PROBABLY a bug with MAX's exporter but still might be worth taking a quick look at at some point....

--"There is no spoon"

• 4 years later...
  • Josh locked this topic