Game Storyline Planning

tjheldna

Hi all,

What I'm onto now is a bit of story line and I find myself struggling. I'm not really struggling as far as imagination goes, it's rather how to plan on paper what happens in the game from start to finish.

Is it really as simple as saying in a word doc or something..

1. Talk to this guy

2 .Pick up this object

etc

What if things don't need to be done in order? It could get confusing.

Is there some sort of method (program like visio or otherwise) that people use for this purpose?

Any thoughts would be great!

Cheers

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

I don;t do much pre planning.I decided on a third person medieval fantasy game containing puzzles and action scenes.I have ideas for puzzles but the over all objective of the game is not yet clear. It maybe a princess rescuing her imprisoned father from enemy stronghold or it may be just a treasure hunt, or both.Time will tell.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Hi, You could search for GDD (Game design documents) as a references/example on the internet. You could use it as a reference to document and plan your project.

Articy: Draft would be a nice choice tool.. Never had it, but it look really nice.

To have more specific details in the GDD there are specific sections that are dedicated to the level and are named "LDD" Level design documents. Theses documents refer to the level story, items, puzzles (if it have some).

I think I have some of them on my web site. Check on the documents section.

Here, found this on a web site and give other examples.

@mrstralberg: nice site! I did not know about this one! Cool!

I would get some mind mapping software and use that to plot out the flow of the game. I also use Articy: Draft SE as its designed exatly for this task. http://store.steampowered.com/app/230780/.

It's not the normal program I would buy, however I did anyway.

It's exactly what I was looking for! Ordering all the ideas in my head; planning and I am finding that new ideas are flowing just from being able to visualise things. I only wish I knew about it earlier!

Thanks Einlander!

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

Planning a game demands long efforts and easy pizzy flow writing and free thinking... well to some extents.

You have 2 forms of documentations.\

1) GDD Game Design Document

2) TDD Technical Design Document

Most only use GDD and flair in some TDD elements. You want to have your own TDD when the game you want to create is such an innovation on platform and/or demands such expertize in 1 or more areas that everything needs to be drawn and written down.

If you have Word or Open office. then look on Google for GDD template.

They are not the best of the best but definitely good to give you cues and clues of what is needed in a GDD even if it is only for yourself. Remember that it may sound stupid your game is a solo fantasy RPG game for example but if you do not write it down then over the weeks your game may turn into MP Goth-like hack and slash. that is why if you are not used to GDD then some of those questions may seem really stupid but they are there for a good reason.

Also look on gamasutra.com for GDD template or GDD tutorial or anything related to GDD.

Also as it has been noted several times. Articy: Draft SE is like a bomb shell of for mind mapping or in other word exactly what you want to do when you stated " a bit of story line and I find myself struggling ". this software is going to help your story and character flow better and help you make better connection or see better storyline can come out. This software also serves for GDDs and may even be used for TDD. This is avery strong piece of software whose latest version just came out recently and it is not hard to dive in and helps you makes your game on paper

Intel Xeon E5-1600, AMD R9 280 or AMD Firepro V7900, Samsung 2*32 gigs PC1600 ECC, Samsung 256 gig SDD 840

This kind of planning is ok for teams making games to sell. They have to be methodical.

As a hobbyist I just get an idea and start coding, pausing now and then to add more graphics to my level.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++