Attempting Game Capture Crashes Game - PlayClaw

Kombowz

Any Attempt to use playclaw game recorder (not sure about anything else as playclaw is my personal favorite at the moment) causes any demo, sample or game I've found and tried to crash. Not sure why, but it's killing me because I plan to release in-game footage in the future and this is a big problem for me...

If playclaw is running the game simply will not load up without crashing.

if you launch playclaw after game is loaded, playclaw in-game overlays are all tripped out and the game will crash moments later.

Thank you guys.

True, or it could be a bug. I mentioned it here and have submitted a demo game created with LeadWerks to the PlayClaw team. I will also make a forum post in their forum regarding it as well.

Something is wrong somewhere and without knowing what the actual problem is, you can't really say who's responsibility it is. Which is why I've mentioned this to both teams to look into.

I use PlayClaw because it has specific features that I need to have in my videos and PlayClaw delivers. Not only that, PlayClaw doesn't lock my game frames to 30FPS while it records. Fraps is old and outdated and is nowhere near the caliber of other screen recorders available today. The only reason why it seems so is that people grow use to certain things and never switch because "it works". Unfortunately that doesn't mean it's the best thing available for everyone. I shouldn't be forced to use or purchase an inferior program that doesn't have the features I need just to get it to "work". That would be putting the responsibility on the user. That would be like telling me to go buy unity to do X because LeadWorks version doesn't work properly or vice versa. Either way, I hope either LeadWerks or PlayClaw figure it out because I don't want to sacrifice either one of these amazing tools.

I'm not going to go back and forth with you about this, you're not leadwerks.

As for taking a stab at a program that was funded through kickstarter... Well, leadwerks was to so I don't know where you're going with that...

Anyway, it's a problem nonetheless. I mention it to be made aware. Just as a simple post here on the forum about a "-" causing the company link to shift down in another post... It could be something simple or something not worth their time or effort. either way I'm okay with it, but without it being mentioned, it will never be known.

I personally believe it to be a problem with the way playclaw hook works, but it never hurts to check both sides just in case right?

Thank you gamecreator,

Worse case scenario would be it's not fixed by whoever the issue is caused by.

If need be however, I can use desktop recording mode and just keep the leadworks game running in windowed mode.

This works even though it's not as efficient but it works and allows me to keep the information I need on the screen.

I have used playclaw steam edition successfully on leadwerks, I use it to record how I get bugs using desktop record mode. I haven't tried it works on the games that leadwerks creates too. I have win 7 x64 catalyst 13.4 dual ati 7770's running dual 1080p monitors,using one of the mp4 encoders (don't remember off the top of my head) encoding at 720p to a secondary hdd. You can try to replicate my settings as close as possible and see how it works out for you. I can't really help further until about 16 hours. Also make sure playclaw is started before leadwerks.

Thank you for your input Einlander,

The problem is with the actual games that leadwerks creates. I can record the main program interface without problems.

There's a problem between leadwerks and playclaw. I'm convinced that it has something to do with OpenGL 4 and PlayClaw and not leadwerks directly. But posted here in case there's any chance that it's a small bug or error in the code of leadwerks.

I've made a post about it on their forums now, so hopefully someone can figure out why leadwerks created games can't be recorded. Biggest problem with this that I can foresee is that if I make a game(s) with leadwerks and people want to release gameplay, review, or whatever kind of videos for it, the won't be able to...

I used PlayClaw to record some of the videos in desktop mode. You are right, it crashes in full-screen mode. At one point FRAPS did this too, and I sent them a demo and they fixed the bug.

This is not a bug in Leadwerks. It is likely that PlayClaw is changing some OpenGL state and not restoring it when finished.

• Upvote 3

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.