Dynamic shadow performance

tjheldna

I don't want to log this as a bug report as I hope for some feedback if any on the issue.

...So I've ditched my test level and started to create a "real level". I've set collectables only to have dynamic shadows and turned off dynamic shadows for the characters.

I'm adding small objects like coins etc and as I'm doing so i'm loosing a heap of frame rate with shadows set to Dynamic on these objects. I have no lights in the scene apart from 1 directional light as it's outdoors.

Here are the stats:

-Distance on the objects is set to near.

• shadows on fps settles around = 100 - 105 (no objects visible on screen)
  • shadows off fps settles = 220 - 290 (no objects visible on screen)

There are 24 objects in the scene that I'm testing with most of them coins at about 38 polys.

I'm getting a little worried as this is the start level and it's only going to get more intense from here!

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

The simple dynamic shadows work by extracting the surrounding scene geometry and rendering a projected image of the object on top of them with blending. This approach will not scale as well as the Leadwerks 2 (or Leadwerks 3 OpenGL 4) deferred renderer, so you have to be careful how many dynamic shadows you have onscreen.

With the OpenGL 4 renderer, you can go crazy (if you have a good GPU).

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.