Context menu for object creation

Rastar

It might already have been posted in one of the many Editor Workflow posts, but just to be sure ;-)

I still find the using "Objects" tab for creating entities too cumbersome. I really would prefer an extension to the context menu in the scene tab with entries for "Create->Primitives->Box", "Create->Compound->Arch" etc. The objects would be created as a child of the currently selected object.

Copy & Paste in this menu would be great, too.

• Some objects have creation parameters. How would the user control those?
  • For CSG brushes, you'll almost always have to drag the edges after this step, to size them the way you want. So are you saying selecting the object type is the slow step for you/
  • What about the left-hand object bar? It allows you to quickly select the most common object types.

The double-combo box might be improveable, but I don't want to do anything too crazy. 3ds max uses a combobox for the category, then uses buttons for the individual objects:

3d1.png

Or we could just put 7 more icons down the left side object bar for the remaining object types.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Regarding object creation parameters:

Actually, another thing that I find cumbersome is the fact that I can't specify a CSG's size in input boxes. Yes, I can modify the scale, but to create a box of, say 10x10x1, I would have to draw that in (two different) viewports. My preferred way would be:

1) Right click on parent -> Create->Primitive->Box => creates a default 1x1x1 box. Focus is on the first of the (new) size input fields.

2) Enter target size 10 Tab 10 Tab 1 Enter

By the way, currently I always have to hit the Tab key twice to move to the next field, once would be nicer.

Regarding object creation parameters:

Actually, another thing that I find cumbersome is the fact that I can't specify a CSG's size in input boxes. Yes, I can modify the scale, but to create a box of, say 10x10x1, I would have to draw that in (two different) viewports. My preferred way would be:

1) Right click on parent -> Create->Primitive->Box => creates a default 1x1x1 box. Focus is on the first of the (new) size input fields.

2) Enter target size 10 Tab 10 Tab 1 Enter

By the way, currently I always have to hit the Tab key twice to move to the next field, once would be nicer.

That would be a pretty extreme change. I never even have a concept of the dimensions of something I create, it's easier to just drag it out where I want it.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.