Tutorial requests?

AggrorJorn

I have only one more tutorial planned for recording which is going to cover Joints. After that I don't have any other plans on making any. Since there are going to be official tutorials about an FPS shooter, many topics will be covered in these tutorials. I think it is a bit pointless to create tutorials that cover these things as well.

So my question is: what would you like to see? Note that I want to cover specific topics rather then "How to make a game that ...". Anyway, just shout, perhaps I will take it in to consideration. smile.png

So far:

• Joints
  • Saving and loading
  • Pathfinding

I have only one more tutorial planned for recording which is going to cover Joints

Like you i decide to make some tutorial , it was on lightmap import. But nobody was so much interested. You should make some vote system for tutorial before writting tutorials , else you don't know if it is really someone that will use it ?

I would vote for 2.5D platform tutorial.

Stop toying and make games

Just thought of another one: pathfinding.

How about something basic like saving/loading own game format (level) ?

That is a really good one. That one will definitively be included.

I have only one more tutorial planned for recording which is going to cover Joints

Like you i decide to make some tutorial , it was on lightmap import. But nobody was so much interested. You should make some vote system for tutorial before writting tutorials , else you don't know if it is really someone that will use it ?

I would vote for 2.5D platform tutorial.

I think that people (especially artists) rather like to see videos instead of reading text and images when it comes to level design. People (myself included) tend to forget or skip parts of the text which contains a lot of useful information. As for the 2.5d game: that is what I meant with "How to make a game that ...". This is to generic. Josh is already making a complete FPS tutorial.

@Aggror:

I would like to see a complete guide from you ( if possible ) on how to get the shaders that come with LE 2.5 to work with LE 3.0 since both the engines work with OpenGL 2.1

If you can provide us such a guide, I might go for LE 3.0 PC version. I am not interested in the iOS and Android version right now. The guide can give us a boost in rendering quality of LE 3.0 that is available for use in LE 2.X. I hope I am not asking something off the

track.

@ Juggernaut: Sorry but that is way out my league. I also think that the core rendering features from Leadwerks 3 should be build by Josh or a hired professional and not be a community port from LE2 to Leadwerks 3. I sure hope that LE3 will have the same (if not better) render power as LE2 someday, but for the time being we have to make due with what we have.

@Aggror : Thank you for your answer. I appreciate your contribution to the community.

I would say : Some complete tutorial on loading / saving with levels and ennemies, and how to manage shooting and ennemies spawn like that game :

It's not BSP based , but real time shaders lightening on models and shadows.

I think we have bits of code here and here, not a complete game with menu , save/load, and with explanation on all the code.

Darkness Awaits finally won't have explained code in chapters, specially the new C++ orientation of Leadwerks 3.

Let's hope someone will make a complete game tutorial.

Stop toying and make games

One technical item I'd like to see a tutorial on Lue and C++. There are code examples of both used exclusively. I would think they could both be used at the same time. I read a comment from Josh that seemed to be saying C++ and Lua can be mixed. However, if they can be mixed, one would have to know any execution ordering scheme to know how and when Lua is called.

Now that I think of it, a more specific application might be, general logic being defined in C++, while Lua might provide behaviors for various hooks. Can this type of Lua and C++ mixing really be used? If so, it might be nice to show such an example.

I think the mixture, in general, is making a C++ project and doing things that span maps and it part of the entire game no matter what map you are on, and then using Lua entity scripts to do things that are map level. For example, switches to opens doors would be map specific and you can create a Lua entity script for that.

I think a tutorial that sets up a project and shows some random examples about communication between C++ and lua would be good. Something in the following lines for instance when activating a switch in the game

• Player in C++
  • Raycast in C++
  • Add script hook for in C++ lua
  • script action in Lua (the switch)
  • switch toggles light (in lua)

• 1 month later...

A tutorial about GUI would be really great. Even something basic that would give some pointers would be nice.(i recall i seen a debug console yiu made but never found the code)

When you say 'GUI', what do mean with it? Can you be more specific?

and ways of communicating with the user at runtime using graphics.Things like giving messages to user.

Could you give me a few examples on what you mean by this?