character controller radius

Rick

At present, the character controller uses a fixed size so the navigation data for the level will work universally. You can get away with a variety of character sizes using the same physics shape. The tank in Left 4 Dead, for example, uses the same size character as everything else for physics.

400764-left-4-dead-2-windows-screenshot-two-tanks-and-only-pistols.jpg

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

The size of the controller seems too wide for how tall it is. Are characters are all fat :). My concern is building scale of doorways. The controller is so wide that it looks like we can't have doorways to scale which just makes things look funny. If we can adjust the height then it's not a big deal as I could work with a different scale that would make the radius "smaller".

Seems odd that I can place a model and the navmesh recals in a second, but we can't have a variable radius and have the engine recalc thing the same way. Is it possible and just something missed or not even possible for some reason?

AI agents calculate navigation based on a shared navmesh, and based on the location of other agents in the navmesh. To support multiple different-sized agents, we'd have to calculate another navmesh using those parameters, and Recast does not support Ai navigation between agents that belong to different navmeshes.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I can understand multiple different size being an issue, but how about if we are able to define the size that all agents will use? That sounds like that should be doable right? This way at least we can control the scale of things even if they all have to be the same size. Maybe a main menu setting for this? Radius and height. This would put more power into our hands. If all the characters in my game are human, then I don't need/want an in-between controller size, and would prefer to make all their radius's smaller to be more human like.

Well, then it's more a matter of implementing in the the editor interface, map file format, engine, documenting it, testing it, and fixing anything that goes wrong with it.