Prefab Disassembly Bug - Prefab Pieces Scatter When Game is Launched

Yue

Description: When creating a prefab, saving it, and loading it into the map, disassembling the prefab for corrections appears normal in the map editor. However, when launching the game, the pieces of the prefab are scattered in different locations across the scene, as if the prefab disassembles incorrectly.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Create a prefab in the editor.
  2. Save the prefab.
  3. Load the saved prefab into the map.
  4. Disassemble the prefab to make corrections.
  5. Launch the game.

Expected Result: The prefab should maintain its corrected structure and positioning both in the map editor and when the game is launched.

Actual Result: While the prefab appears correctly in the map editor after disassembly, the pieces of the prefab are scattered across the scene when the game is launched.

Screenshots:

image.thumb.png.a24982c2a9208c784a616a26fe1fb8e5.png

Additional Information:

• Ultra Engine version: 0.96
  • Map file: Maps/Mars.ultra
  • Prefab file: Prefabs/Base/WallWindows.ultra

Attachments:

• Screenshot showing the prefab in the editor
  • Screenshot showing the scattered prefab pieces in the game

System Information:

• Operating System: [Windows]
  • Processor: [Inte I7 2600]
  • RAM: [24 gigas]
  • Graphics Card: [GTX 1070 VRAM 8 Gigas]

Please investigate this issue as it significantly impacts the ability to work with prefabs effectively in the Ultra Engine.

Thank you.

Mars.jpg.89ab63a64eebc1f5ada0ab82b66a1f8c.jpg

prueba.zipHere prefab. 
By putting the prefab on the stage, two cubes, and separating them from the hierarchy father and son, their positions are not updated correctly when launching the game. The same happens with the textures. If I assign a material to this prefab and save it as a prefab, the editor crashes and when I enter the editor again, it does not load the editor.

Another thing is that when disassembling the prefab and copying ( CTR + C, some of its parts, it does not do it correctly, it creates a kind of pivot instead of copying the part of the prefab.
Broken.thumb.png.65a0a982835d8b9241a9aa4be9aafdf2.png

On 6/2/2024 at 7:21 PM, Yue said:

Disassemble the prefab to make corrections.

What does this mean?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

7 hours ago, Yue said:

prueba.zipHere prefab. 
By putting the prefab on the stage, two cubes, and separating them from the hierarchy father and son, their positions are not updated correctly when launching the game. The same happens with the textures. If I assign a material to this prefab and save it as a prefab, the editor crashes and when I enter the editor again, it does not load the editor.

You should not be able to do this. The bug is that the editor is allowing you to change the hierarchy of a prefab object. It should not allow this.

• Confused 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Hi Josh,

In response to your question about modifying prefabs, I'd like to argue in favor of the ability to modify prefabs once they are created. The ability to modify prefabs adds a lot of modularity to map creation, especially when working with brushes. Here are some reasons:

1. Design Flexibility: During the development of a project, requirements and designs often evolve. Being able to modify a prefab allows all elements using that prefab to be automatically updated, maintaining consistency and saving time. This is particularly useful for making global changes, such as adjusting a texture or changing specific components.

2. Creating Variations: When creating a prefab with two brushes, for example, it is possible that later on, you might want to make modifications to create a variation of the same prefab. This can include changing textures, adding or removing components, and then saving it as a new prefab. The ability to reuse and modify existing prefabs to create new versions is essential for efficient and modular development.

3. Optimization and Maintenance: The ability to modify prefabs makes optimization and maintenance of the project easier. If an issue is found in the design of a prefab, fixing it once can resolve the problem in all instances, avoiding repetitive errors and making project management easier in the long run.

4. Innovation and Creativity: The ability to modify prefabs encourages experimentation and creativity, as developers can try different combinations and adjustments without needing to start from scratch each time. This can result in innovative solutions and a richer, more varied game design.

In summary, modularity and the ability to modify prefabs are fundamental for agile and flexible development, allowing developers to quickly adapt to changes and continuously improve the game's design.

I hope these points are helpful. Thank you for continuing to improve Ultra Engine!