Multiplayer with Lua

Atmosaero

Go to solution Solved by Canardia,

• Solution

Yes, you can use the Steam API in Ultra with Lua, with it you can send and receive any data between players or server:
https://www.ultraengine.com/learn/Steamworks_CreateLobby?lang=lua

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Beware steamworks lobby is P2P only. This made me curious about something else tho, it appears lua's require doesnt work? I was trying it with enet, eg `require "enet"` and it blows up. If require isnt working, that would be nice to become available so the reams of existing solutions (eg, love community) could be used

I did look at the Plugin architecture but that looks unrelated

2 hours ago, Dexter said:

Beware steamworks lobby is P2P only. This made me curious about something else tho, it appears lua's require doesnt work? I was trying it with enet, eg `require "enet"` and it blows up. If require isnt working, that would be nice to become available so the reams of existing solutions (eg, love community) could be used

I did look at the Plugin architecture but that looks unrelated

Lua DLL modules need to be placed in the /Modules folder. Lua code file modules should be placed in /Source.

Enet is nice to use but it doesn't support NAT punch-through, so it might not be very useful for modern networked games.

The P2P system is pretty nice because when the lobby owner leaves, ownership gets transferred to another player. This acts like a dedicated server without needing to program and maintain one.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Lua DLL modules need to be placed in the /Modules folder. Lua code file modules should be placed in /Source.

Enet is nice to use but it doesn't support NAT punch-through, so it might not be very useful for modern networked games.

The P2P system is pretty nice because when the lobby owner leaves, ownership gets transferred to another player. This acts like a dedicated server without needing to program and maintain one.

ahh great, I had dlls next to exe, thanks. Fair point on ENet, just throwing out there are alternatives

• Like 2