[LE3] Hidden still collides

Rick

I was under the impression that if an entity is hidden, you cannot collide with it? I thought the invisible material is how you would do something like this if you wanted that functionality.

I want a doorway to be blocked by some CSG models when a trigger is hit. So I hide them at first but because they have a shape and collision type of prop or scene I still collide with them. I'm pretty sure this isn't how it works in LE2 and so have to assume this is a bug.

I don't see why hidden would mean exemption from collisions. In half life they used to place invisible ramps on staircases so you could walk up them without the "climbing effect" which Valve considered disorientating. Is there no way to edit collision pairs between groups in LE 3? LE2 had it, but I suspect only because it was a part of Newton.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

As far as I could tell the "best" way to do the hidden and collision would be to put the invisible material on it. We do need a way to completely "disable" models though and hidden used to do that, and I guess I would think it still should.

• Upvote 1

Is there a "no effect " collision option in Leadwerks 3.

In le2 I had an ivisible door but my character could not go thru because the doors physics body was still active so I set collisions to 0 in game loop and it then worked.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

@Cassius There is and I could hide the model AND change the collision, but just seems like if we hide the model then it should also disable the collision since we have the invisible material for the other thing.

In LE2 if your physics were a child of the model then hiding the model I'm pretty sure would hide the physics entity and make it not work. How specifically did you have your door setup?

It was a rather crude way of opening a door. I had 2 versions of the door. One closed and an invisible one in the open posiyion. To open the door I made the closed door invisible and the open version visible. Together with a sound effect it worked very well.

I had tried rotation at first but it never looked right.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

In LE2 if your physics were a child of the model then hiding the model I'm pretty sure would hide the physics entity and make it not work. How specifically did you have your door setup?

In LE2, the model was the physics body with a child mesh. So when you hid the model you effectively just told the engine not to render that mesh but it had no effect on the physics body. Like cassius stated, the response set up for that body's collision type is what determined whether or not a collision occurred.

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

According to the documentation it should not collide indeed. http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/entity/entityhide-r181

Entity::Hide

This functions hides an entity. A hidden entity will be invisible, will not collide with other entities, and its 4x4 matrix will not be updated when the parent moves.

I had the same issue with creating a spectator camera. physics still worked after hiding the mesh which represented the spectator.

• 2 weeks later...