What if I was a first time user?

Thirsty Panther

Go to solution Solved by Josh,

The release of the new engine is near.

So what if I was a first time user of UltraEngine?

I install vulkan, VS studio, VS code and the engine as per the instructions., login and head to the documentation.

I create a new project and run the sln file in VS as instructed.

The example never runs as the Map folder and the "Start" map doesn't exist.

Ok so I move on.

I run the first example in the documentation, copying and pasting as instructed.

This is a program to load a model.

It fails to run as it cannot open source file :"Component /CameraControls.hpp".

The path needs to be "Components/Player/CameraControls.hpp".

OK so I'm smart enough to spot this and fix it.

The program then fails with a "Post effect is Null" error.

I know this seems like nitpicking but if a new user starts their UltraEngine journey with problem after problem then this forum is going to be inundated with angry users. 

Nobody will care if UltraEngine is 10X faster than Unity if they cant get the first examples to run.

I really want UltraEngine to be a success and you only get one chance for a first impression so lets make it a good one :)  

• Like 3

Amen

• Like 1

Dream since child of making games! From Game Programming Starter Kit 3.0, Blitz Basic, Map Creation since Duke 3D, Game Maker, Blitz3D (of recent..2023) and many other engines and years..... never really sticking to it with inner struggles that I've had to fight along with pushing to learn and acheive.

40 years old.. came across Leadwerks on Steam... Learning slowly but surely and loving it!

Learn with me or just watch me fail! at my random Youtube Channel, as I stream adhoc while learning and using LeadWerks and other game creating tools.

https://www.youtube.com/@wazmeister3151/featured

• Solution

Agreed. I am still polishing, and it seems like the stuff the user interacts with first comes very last in my process.

I believe all these issues are fixed. Please let me know if you spot anything else.

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.