Intro & Queries

MikeClarke

Hi, I'm Mike. Its taken me a couple of years to get time together to begin on my own full project. After going through various forums, looking at engines etc I've decided to go ahead and work with leadwerks3.

I have a couple of minor queries which i'm sure i'll come across but 1 will be imortant before i really get going.

If i opt to create a project for windows/mac using lua, can I convert to using c++ later on. I have experience with both but I would prefer for a quicker start to use lua then later on once things start taking a bit of shape to switch over to c++ to unleash that extra power.

Query 2, how in the demo game can I switch the camera from its current position to a "feasable" fps. It's not majorly important its just im in a decision of whether to go first/3rd person and just wanted to see how first person would look on the engine. If theres a fairly quick method that would be great.

Also if anyone has any recommendations or check this out stuff i'd love to see.

Basic overview, the game is based in/around vegas. Modern day with some "alterations" to reality. Depending on fps/3rd person I may be going with a "tomb raider" style of play as opposed to D style (sega saturn anyone xD) There will be alot of utilizing the environment to progress and create weapons/paths etc.

Operation Mosquito

Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator. (pm if interested)

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

Welcome!

The commands between Lua and C++ should be very similar. However you'd have to type out the conversion yourself at this time.

Probably adjust the camera position in the world to be right in front of the player model. You'd have to handle the rotation then though, but if you just wanted a quick and dirty look you could manually rotate it to face the same way the player is just to get a look at how things would look in FP.

Thanks for response, I have moved the camera using the x,y,z access in the viewpoints and got it sitting pretty much in the players skull, I think my current issue is the angle/direction im not sure what 0,0,0 or 0,0,0 equates to so for example if the default (50 i think) is

/ would 90 be - or |

Either way I can tweak with all of this and get it right sometime tomorrow. Just thought maybe someone had it noted so i could avoid the black viewpoint ingame lol

Also curious, in the demo is it possible to create a "new project" or do you require the full license for that. Wasn't sure if it was like the other engines where you can create it, but to publish you require the license etc.

Operation Mosquito

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

Hi, I'm Mike. Its taken me a couple of years to get time together to begin on my own full project. After going through various forums, looking at engines etc I've decided to go ahead and work with leadwerks3.

I have a couple of minor queries which i'm sure i'll come across but 1 will be imortant before i really get going.

If i opt to create a project for windows/mac using lua, can I convert to using c++ later on. I have experience with both but I would prefer for a quicker start to use lua then later on once things start taking a bit of shape to switch over to c++ to unleash that extra power.

That's a wise approach. The Lua debugger will give you enough power to get through the game, and then you can offload the demanding parts of your code to C++.

Query 2, how in the demo game can I switch the camera from its current position to a "feasable" fps. It's not majorly important its just im in a decision of whether to go first/3rd person and just wanted to see how first person would look on the engine. If theres a fairly quick method that would be great.

I'll be writing a series of tutorials for making an FPS game once we get back from the GDC. A couple of people have code for this already, and the default C++ example already provides code for a freelook camera.

Thanks for all the help & advice, i'm going to start doing some demo mechanics n things just to get a better feel for using the tools/engine and i'll prolly pick up a license in a few weeks once i firm out the game structure more.

I look forward to seeing those tutorials.

Operation Mosquito

I assume that things such as brushes are a suitable walking platform regardless of the number? When I referred to a "lara croft style" it was more creating pathways by moving environmental objects, and solving puzzles to release doorways etc

Operation Mosquito

I assume that things such as brushes are a suitable walking platform regardless of the number? When I referred to a "lara croft style" it was more creating pathways by moving environmental objects, and solving puzzles to release doorways etc

All CSG brushes work for navmesh pathfinding. There are no limits imposed. I am not sure what was being described here.

This is all v.good news :) Thanks for confirming it for me.

Got my Welsh rugby mode going all day today but tomorrow i'll begin with some experiments prior to picking up a license :)

Operation Mosquito