LE3: model import problem

dennis

Hey all,

I recently bought LE3 and I have an hard time to import all my assets used in LE2... I dug up the old FBX files. and added all files inside an directory. I opened up the engine and it started converting for me.

after a few minutes, I wanted to add some of the models (which are mdl now) but they appear untextured...

Why is that ? how can I fix this ?

Cheers

You need to import all your textures, LE 3 will create ".tex" files.

Than for each you must create a material where you will put the texture and choose the shader.

Than dag the material to the 3D model in editor or in model editor to see it textured.

Stop toying and make games

Than for each you must create a material where you will put the texture and choose the shader.

Than dag the material to the 3D model in editor or in model editor to see it textured.

Okay thanks, but this isn't working for me because I have multiple textures per model.

so I want to import the model with all his textures as it was in LE2. all this annoying work for just importing some models is just useless time waste.

Okay thanks, but this isn't working for me because I have multiple textures per model.

The way you can do it is multiple materials per object.

lIke the game "Darkness" The barbarian have two materials : one for character , another for shield and weapon.

so I want to import the model with all his textures as it was in LE2.

They ar not compatible and using FBX format and new workflow of LE3 , you must do all step by step.

all this annoying work for just importing some models is just useless time waste.

If you have FBX, the iimport is just drag the model on the editor., it's not time waste.

Because it's not a new LE3 project but a migration , like using some engine than using another one indeed you'll have lot of hard work :)

The way you can do it is multiple materials per object.

lIke the game "Darkness" The barbarian have two materials : one for character , another for shield and weapon.

They ar not compatible and using FBX format and new workflow of LE3 , you must do all step by step.

all this annoying work for just importing some models is just useless time waste.

If you have FBX, the iimport is just drag the model on the editor., it's not time waste.

Because it's not a new LE3 project but a migration , like using some engine than using another one indeed you'll have lot of hard work smile.png

I have roughly 2000 items I need to process, and if they are all untextured I have some big problem. the importing is really fast but with no textures there is an little issue haha

You don't have to do any of that. It's all in the documentation.

1. Right click on a texture and select the Generate Material > Dynamic menu item. Your material will be created.

2. Open the model in the model editor. Drag the material you want to apply onto the surface you want it applied to.

3. Press the Save toolbar button in the model editor to resave your model with materials applied.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

You don't have to do any of that. It's all in the documentation.

1. Right click on a texture and select the Generate Material > Dynamic menu item. Your material will be created.

2. Open the model in the model editor. Drag the material you want to apply onto the surface you want it applied to.

3. Press the Save toolbar button in the model editor to resave your model with materials applied.

There are multiple textures... why doesn't the editor use the textures assigned in the model itself?

I think it's the wya howworks the base graphic shader layer of Leadwerks 3.

So multiple textures will mean multiple materials.

It could be some future evolution : when importing FBX model, LE3 would detect multiple diffuse textures , than it would import all assigned textures, and then create one material per texture behind the scenes for you.

How many models do you have to convert ?

Yes it can become lot of models if we go in details.

But there are some main 7,8 buildings, and the rest are details it seems.

Anyway, there are solutions, it's up to you to find the best one.

(even solutions like staying LE 2 for this project)