EmitSound() doesn't clear Source when Listener is outside of range

I noticed something interesting earlier today and have been testing it. Seems consistent in what goes wrong (all in C++ btw):
I have doors that make a sound when they open or close. I've currently switched to using EmitSound() for this with a range of 10, no looping or pitch changes. The sounds are loaded with Sound::Load() on the door actor Attach() and released on Detach().

When standing within the range of the door (10) and open/close it the sound plays, adding 1 Source to the list, then after it's done the Source is released and the list shrinks by 1 again. From what I've gathered this is expected behavior.

However I've noticed that if I open/close the door, then run away until I'm out of range the Source does not seem to be cleared as the list is not decremented by 1.
I also noticed that when I'm standing outside of the range and the door auto-closes, thus playing the close sound, the Sources list is also not decremented.
I've noticed similar behavior with other entities. There's an AI running around the map, which makes a sound when it performs a certain action using EmitSound(), looking at the Debug console I clearly see the Sources list incrementing every time. I've tried loading the sound when doing the action/triggering a door open or close, then releasing it after the EmitSound() call but this made no difference.

I'm aware I could use create a Source in the door actor, but since some levels have dozens of doors this really stacks up. It's what I used so far but I noticed that a lot of Sources causes sound issues. At this point I'm just wondering if I should make a few dedicated sources in the player actor instead and use these to play all the sounds near the player, though that would require a bit of setup and management which honestly the engine should handle, right? :)

Sorry to keep hammering about these sound issues, but our game relies heavily on sounds for atmosphere and cues, plus I do want LeadWerks to improve one final time haha

10 hours ago, EvilTurtleProductions said:

Sorry to keep hammering about these sound issues, but our game relies heavily on sounds for atmosphere and cues, plus I do want LeadWerks to improve one final time haha

I can't recommend FMOD enough.

Not sure why Sources are getting stuck in memory, I assumed it would handle itself.

If you still want to use OpenAL, I recommend making a base actor class to manage sounds how you want them to be managed.

• Like 1

Cyclone - Ultra Game System - Component PreprocessorTex2TGA - Darkness Awaits Template (Leadwerks)

If you like my work, consider supporting me on Patreon!